Sporting Kansas City Releases Alex Martinez
Sporting Kansas City announced on Monday that the club has released midfielder Alex Martinez and recalled midfielder Mikey Lopez from his loan to OKC Energy FC.
Sporting KC drafted Martinez with the No. 57 overall pick (third round) in the 2014 MLS SuperDraft. The rookie midfielder started three regular season matches and scored his first professional goal in a 2014 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup fourth round win over NASL club Minnesota United FC.
Lopez returns to Kansas City after scoring his first goal in Energy FC's 2-0 win over Sacramento Republic on Saturday. The 2013 MLS SuperDraft first round pick appeared in 14 matches while on loan with USL PRO affiliates Orlando City SC and Energy FC and tallied one goal and one assist.
Sporting Kansas City will host the Chicago Fire Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. at Sporting Park. Limited tickets are available for the match and can be purchased at Ticketmaster.com or by calling 888-4KC-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 30, 2014
- Omar Gonzalez Expects a Tough Test against Belgium - LA Galaxy
- Injury sidelines José Mari for up to a month - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids and Commerce City to Hold 19th Annual 4thFest on Friday - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce Partnership for Made-In-America Solar Energy Program - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Update - Real Salt Lake
- Vicente Sánchez, the Wizard with Us - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Development Update - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Releases Alex Martinez - Sporting Kansas City
- Fans Invited to Join Sounders FC Players and Coaches for World Cup Viewing Party Tuesday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Red Bulls Update: New York Heads to Houston Friday - New York Red Bulls
- U.S. Look to Advance to First Quarterfinal Since 2002 - this Week in MLS - MLS
- LA Galaxy Kick off a Three-Game Home Stand against Portland - LA Galaxy
- Crew and Columbus Commons Team-Up for Viewing Party - Columbus Crew SC
- Fewer Than 500 Tickets Remain for July 5 Match vs. Seattle Sounders FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Return to MLS Action, Begin Eight-Match Stretch in Month of July - Chicago Fire
- Montreal Impact Forward Jack McInerney Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Impact Striker Jack McInerney Named MLS Player of the Week - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Waive Giuseppe Gentile - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake, Salt Lake City Mayor's Office, Broadway Media Group to Host Watch Party - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy to Host World Cup Viewing Party - LA Galaxy
- Major League Soccer Names Seth Bacon Senior Vice President, Media - MLS
- Gehrig Pleased to See Both Germany, USA Advance - Columbus Crew SC
- McInerney Scores a Brace as Impact Shuts out Houston 3-0 at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sporting Kansas City Stories
- Sporting KC Midfielder Gianluca Busio Named to U.S. Roster for U-17 World Cup
- Sporting Closes out 2019 MLS Season with Defeat at FC Dallas
- Preview: Sporting to Visit FC Dallas in Sunday's Season Finale
- Sporting Earns 2-2 Draw vs. Portland in Home Finale
- Sporting Announces 2019 Club Awards at Pitch Black