Chicago Fire Return to MLS Action, Begin Eight-Match Stretch in Month of July
CHICAGO FIRE HOST TORONTO FC, TRAVEL TO FACE SPORTING KANSAS CITY
The Chicago Fire (2-4-8, 14 points) return to MLS action after a three-week break for the group stages of the FIFA World Cup when they host Toronto FC (6-4-2, 20 points) on Wednesday, July 2 at Toyota Park at 7:30 p.m. CT (My50/La Ley 107.9 FM).
Tickets for the match are available via Ticketmaster, by visiting www.Chicago-Fire.com or by calling 888-MLS-FIRE. As a nod to holiday, the Fire are offering tickets starting at a discounted rate of $17.76 that are available at www.Chicago-Fire.com/freedom .
During the match, $2 hotdogs, provided by Red Hot Chicago, will be on sale and supporters will have the opportunity to bid on one-of-a-kind Fire jerseys from each member of the team, including Fire mascot Sparky. Winning bidders will have the player whose jersey they won personally autograph the new piece of game-worn memorabilia immediately after the game. These unique jerseys will feature red, white and blue name plates and numbers. Bidding is now open here and will run to the end of halftime of the Fire vs. Toronto FC match on July 2. All proceeds from the auction will benefit the Chicago Fire Foundation. The celebration concludes after the match when the club will hold an extended fireworks display after the final whistle from the northern end of the stadium.
Following the Toronto match, the Fire face a quick turnaround when they hit the road to take on Sporting Kansas City at Sporting Park on Sunday, July 6 at 2 p.m. CT (ESPN/La Ley 107.9 FM).
CHICAGO FIRE VS. TORONTO FC
- The Fire are 8-3-5 all-time against Toronto FC, including 4-0-3 in matches played at Toyota Park.
- This is the first of three meetings between the two sides this season. The Fire head to Canada for a match at BMO Field on Aug. 23 and host the final leg of the series at Toyota Park on Sept. 13.
- Fire forward Quincy Amarikwa spent the second half of the 2012 season with Toronto FC. Amarikwa tallied one assist in 11 MLS appearances for the TFC. Amarikwa also scored a goal against Liverpool in the World Football Challenge and against Santos Laguna in CONCACAF Champions League play.
- The Fire will be without the services of defender Jhon Kennedy Hurtado, who will be serving the requisite one-match suspension for the red card he received against the Seattle Sounders FC on June 7.
CHICAGO FIRE AT SPORTING KANSAS CITY
- The Fire are 25-12-10 in MLS regular season matches against Sporting Kansas City, and an even 8-8-8 record in matches played on the road.
- This is the second meeting between the two sides this year. On May 18 the Fire defeated Sporting Kansas City 2-1 at Toyota Park. The Fire will finish out the series on the road at Sporting Park on Oct. 10.
- The final stop of Fire Technical Director Brian Bliss' playing career was Kansas City, where he played his final season for the Wizards in 1998. In 2000, Bliss was appointed assistant coach for the Wizards. In six seasons in Kansas City, the Wizards won the 2000 MLS Supporters' Shield, 2000 MLS Cup and the 2004 U.S. Open Cup.
CHICAGO FIRE FACE ATLANTA SILVERBACKS IN QUARTERFINALS OF LAMAR HUNT U.S. OPEN CUP
The Chicago Fire will face NASL side Atlanta Silverbacks in the quarterfinals of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup at Atlanta Silverbacks Park in Atlanta, Ga. on Wednesday, July 9 at 6:30 p.m. CT.
The Fire advanced with a 4-2 overtime victory over the Columbus Crew on June 25. The Silverbacks defeated the Colorado Rapids 2-1 on June 24.
Since 1998, the Fire have compiled an impressive 35-11-4 record in Open Cup play and 23-1-1 in matches played in the state of Illinois, reaching the semifinal round nine out of 16 times and the final six times. The Fire have previously hoisted the coveted Dewar Trophy four times, in 1998, 2000, 2003 and 2006. The 2006 title marked the ninth time a team from Chicago won the Open Cup and made the Fire one of six teams to capture the crown at least four times in the tournament's 100-year-long history.
CHICAGO FIRE HOST TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FC JULY 26 AT TOYOTA PARK
The Chicago Fire Soccer Club will welcome Barclays Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur to Toyota Park in an international friendly on Saturday, July 26 at 7:00 p.m. CT (ESPN2).
This is just the fifth time that the Fire will welcome an English side to the Chicagoland area. The Men in Red are 2-2-0 in international friendlies against clubs from England, including Aston Villa, Manchester United, Everton and Derby County.
Tickets for July 26 friendly against the Spurs and to the Fire's MLS Regular Season home matches a re available via Ticketmaster and www.Chicago-Fire.com .
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 30, 2014
- Omar Gonzalez Expects a Tough Test against Belgium - LA Galaxy
- Injury sidelines José Mari for up to a month - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids and Commerce City to Hold 19th Annual 4thFest on Friday - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce Partnership for Made-In-America Solar Energy Program - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Update - Real Salt Lake
- Vicente Sánchez, the Wizard with Us - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Development Update - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Releases Alex Martinez - Sporting Kansas City
- Fans Invited to Join Sounders FC Players and Coaches for World Cup Viewing Party Tuesday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Red Bulls Update: New York Heads to Houston Friday - New York Red Bulls
- U.S. Look to Advance to First Quarterfinal Since 2002 - this Week in MLS - MLS
- LA Galaxy Kick off a Three-Game Home Stand against Portland - LA Galaxy
- Crew and Columbus Commons Team-Up for Viewing Party - Columbus Crew SC
- Fewer Than 500 Tickets Remain for July 5 Match vs. Seattle Sounders FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Return to MLS Action, Begin Eight-Match Stretch in Month of July - Chicago Fire
- Montreal Impact Forward Jack McInerney Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Impact Striker Jack McInerney Named MLS Player of the Week - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Waive Giuseppe Gentile - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake, Salt Lake City Mayor's Office, Broadway Media Group to Host Watch Party - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy to Host World Cup Viewing Party - LA Galaxy
- Major League Soccer Names Seth Bacon Senior Vice President, Media - MLS
- Gehrig Pleased to See Both Germany, USA Advance - Columbus Crew SC
- McInerney Scores a Brace as Impact Shuts out Houston 3-0 at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC to Host "Drive-In Matchday, Presented by Continental TireÃ¢ÂÂ at Soldier Field for MLS Is Back Tournament Opener on July 8
- Chicago Fire FC Announces Schedule and Broadcast Details for MLS Is Back Tournament
- Chicago Fire Juniors and Continental Tire Announce Jersey Front Partnership
- Chicago Fire FC Midfielder Jeremiah Gutjahr Undergoes Successful Arthroscopic Meniscus Repair Procedure
- Chicago Fire FC to Begin Full Team Training at SeatGeek Stadium on Monday