Timbers Development Update
PORTLAND, Ore. - The 2013-14 Portland Timbers Academy season concluded on Friday as the Timbers U-16 Academy team registered a 4-2 win over the Virginia Rush U-16s in their final match of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Showcase. On Thursday, the Timbers U-18 Academy team finished play in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Playoffs with a 3-1 win over Charlotte Soccer Academy U-18s.
The Timbers U-18s concluded Group D play in third place following three matches at the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Playoffs at Grand Park in Westfield, Ind. After dropping hard-fought games against the Chicago Fire U-18s on June 23 and FC Dallas U-18s on June 24, the Timbers U-18s rebounded for their first win as Anthony Macchione (Camas, Wash.), Reid Baez (Salem, Ore.) and Jesse Garcia-Aguilar (Hillsboro, Ore.) each tallied a goal in the victory over Charlotte Soccer Academy.
Earlier in group play, Foster Langsdorf (Vancouver, Wash.) scored in the second half of a 2-1 loss against the Fire U-18s in Portland's first-ever U.S. Soccer Development Academy Playoffs match. Against FC Dallas, a Portland own goal in the 76th minute provided the Texas side with a 1-0 win. FC Dallas won the group, advancing to the quarterfinals. Portland finished with a 1-2-0 record (3pts) in Group D.
Participating in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Showcase, which ran concurrent to the playoffs, the Timbers U-16 Academy team compiled an undefeated 2-0-1 record with wins over the Richmond Strikers U-16s on June 24 and Virginia Rush U-16s on Friday. Portland played the Colorado Rapids U-16 Academy team to a 1-1 draw on June 25. Against Virginia Rush, the Timbers U-16s earned goals from Davis Chimento (Sherwood, Ore.), Joe Corner (Salem, Ore.), Gio Rivera (Hood River, Ore.) and a penalty kick by Adrian Villegas (Hood River, Ore.).
Corner tallied a goal in each of Portland's three matches, while the Timbers U-16 Academy team also featured two players from the 2000 age group as Villegas and Jose Peralta (Boardman, Ore.) joined the team for the showcase.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 30, 2014
- Omar Gonzalez Expects a Tough Test against Belgium - LA Galaxy
- Injury sidelines José Mari for up to a month - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids and Commerce City to Hold 19th Annual 4thFest on Friday - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce Partnership for Made-In-America Solar Energy Program - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Update - Real Salt Lake
- Vicente Sánchez, the Wizard with Us - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Development Update - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Releases Alex Martinez - Sporting Kansas City
- Fans Invited to Join Sounders FC Players and Coaches for World Cup Viewing Party Tuesday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Red Bulls Update: New York Heads to Houston Friday - New York Red Bulls
- U.S. Look to Advance to First Quarterfinal Since 2002 - this Week in MLS - MLS
- LA Galaxy Kick off a Three-Game Home Stand against Portland - LA Galaxy
- Crew and Columbus Commons Team-Up for Viewing Party - Columbus Crew SC
- Fewer Than 500 Tickets Remain for July 5 Match vs. Seattle Sounders FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Return to MLS Action, Begin Eight-Match Stretch in Month of July - Chicago Fire
- Montreal Impact Forward Jack McInerney Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Impact Striker Jack McInerney Named MLS Player of the Week - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Waive Giuseppe Gentile - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake, Salt Lake City Mayor's Office, Broadway Media Group to Host Watch Party - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy to Host World Cup Viewing Party - LA Galaxy
- Major League Soccer Names Seth Bacon Senior Vice President, Media - MLS
- Gehrig Pleased to See Both Germany, USA Advance - Columbus Crew SC
- McInerney Scores a Brace as Impact Shuts out Houston 3-0 at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Nashville SC Selects Defender Zarek Valentin No. 4 Overall in 2019 MLS Expansion Draft
- Portland to Host eMLS League Series Two in February
- Major League Soccer Terminates Brian Fernandez Contract
- Jeremy Ebobisse Named to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Roster
- Four Timbers Players Called in for International Duty