Local names lead River Cats to victory in finale
RENO, Nev. - The Sacramento River Cats (65-59) were carried to series split by a couple of local products, defeating the Reno Aces (59-65) 8-1 in their Sunday finale. The win puts the River Cats in the driver's seat in the division, now leading the Aces by seven games with just 15 games to go.
Right-hander and Bella Vista High School grad Justin Haley bounced back in a big way after a rough Sacramento debut on August 10 against Nashville. He dealt for six innings on Sunday, allowing four hits, one run and striking out three. The bullpen backed Haley's strong start, with Jamie Callahan, Williams Jerez, and Tyler Rogers combining for three innings of scoreless baseball.
Former Capital Christian star Mauricio Dubon led the way offensively, going 4-for-6 with a home run and two runs batted in. The River Cats used a four-run ninth to pad their lead, highlighted by a Chris Shaw solo homer and a two-run triple from pitcher Williams Jerez.
The River Cats will return home for a brief three-games series against Albuquerque, with righty Chase Johnson (1-0, 9.00) getting the spot start. The Isotopes will toss lefty Chris Rusin (1-4, 5.94) in the series opener. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. (PT). Listen to all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, and on Money 105.5 FM.
The River Cats pitching staff continued to get it done at the dish in Reno. Justin Haley collected a single and Williams Jerez crushed a triple to drive in two runs. Coming into the series, River Cats pitchers had just 15 hits on the season, but they added four to that total in the last four contests.
The River Cats magic number now sits at nine to clinch the Pacific Northern division with 15 games to go. Any combination of River Cats wins and Aces losses adding up to nine will clinch a playoff berth for Sacramento.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion -San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Dodgers Hang On During Wild Ride in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Homers Doom Round Rock in 14-11 Loss to Oklahoma City - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Nips Omaha 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Skoglund Silences Sounds, Chasers Win 7-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Nashville Fails to Sweep Omaha in Sunday's Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Take Bite out of Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Homers Twice, Tacoma Sweeps Fresno in Four-Game Series - Tacoma Rainiers
- Rainiers sweep Grizzlies 9-7 despite clouts from Taylor and Ward - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Drop Series Finale against Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Local names lead River Cats to victory in finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Keep Bees at Bay - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees, Chihuahuas Split Series - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Rout First-Place Iowa in Game, Series - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Sweeps Iowa with Decisive Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (56-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-72) - Nashville Sounds
- Taking Flight with â?¦ Skye Bolt - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (58-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-58) - Memphis Redbirds
- Blistering Rainiers Offense Leads to Third-Straight Victory against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ending An Eight-Game Skid - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Bats Catch Fire in Comeback Victory over River Cats - Reno Aces
- Davis adds two more dingers but bullpen and defense faulter late - Sacramento River Cats
- Aviators Hold off Isotopes for 6-5 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Fresno tripped up by Tacoma on Saturday - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats finish 2019 season as Triple-A National Champions
- River Cats sweep Express to capture PCL Championship
- Adames lifts River Cats over Express in game two
- Avelino provides walk-off as River Cats take Game 1
- River Cats Take on Round Rock for PCL Championship