Aces Drop Series Finale against Sacramento
Reno, Nevada. - The Reno Aces dropped the series finale against the Sacramento River Cats Sunday afternoon by a score of 8-1. Braden Shipley got the start for manager Chris Cron and was sharp from start to finish. The right-hander went five innings, allowed zero earned runs and struck out five. A fielding error by Abraham Almonte got the second inning started for the Cats. Cristhian Adames followed it with an RBI-double and Levi Michael added a second run with a sacrifice fly to give the team an early 2-0 lead. Down by two, Reno responded with a run of their own in the bottom of the third inning. A single by Carlos Asuaje followed by a Domingo Leyba double set the table for Almonte. Almonte hit a soft ground ball to the first baseman to bring in Asuaje and give Reno their first and only run of the ball game. Sacramento added two in the top of the seventh and four in the top of the ninth. The Aces will head to Las Vegas tomorrow and take on the Aviators three times before returning home for the final homestand of the season. For tickets and more information visit Renoaces.com or call 775-334-7000.
Top Performers - Reno
Carlos Asuaje (2-for-3, R)
Abraham Almonte: (1-for-4, RBI)
Braden Shipley (5.0 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 5 K)
Top Performers - Sacramento
Mauricio Duban (4-for-6, R, 2 RBI)
Chris Shaw (1-for-4, HR)
Joe McCarthy (2-for-4, R)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) (PT) RADIO/TV
Monday August 19 Las Vegas RHP Parker Dunshee vs. RHP Riley Smith 7:05 p.m. KPLY 630 AM
Notes & Information
Ship bein' Ship: Braden Shipley had another great outing for the Reno Aces this afternoon. The right-hander from the University of Nevada went five innings, did not allow an earned run and struck out five. It is the fifth time this season Shipley has struck out five or more in a single game. It is the seventh time this season Shipley has gone five or more innings.
Oops: The Reno defense struggled this afternoon. For just the third time this season, the Aces committed four errors in a single game. The last time this happened was April 28 vs. the Fresno Grizzlies. Entering today's game, Reno had a fielding percentage of .981 and had committed just 85 errors in over 4,500 total chances.
Power Outage: The Aces managed to score just one run in today's contest. It was the eighth time this season they've scored a single run. They are 1-7 in the games with the lone win coming on 6/22 against Albuquerque. On the bright side, Reno has yet to be shutout this season. In 2018, the club was shutout four times.
Division Watch: With a series split, the Aces remain seven games behind the Sacramento River Cats in the Pacific Northern division. The teams have 15 remaining games left and four head-to-head matchups left in the season.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Dodgers Hang On During Wild Ride in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Homers Doom Round Rock in 14-11 Loss to Oklahoma City - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Nips Omaha 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Skoglund Silences Sounds, Chasers Win 7-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Nashville Fails to Sweep Omaha in Sunday's Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Take Bite out of Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Homers Twice, Tacoma Sweeps Fresno in Four-Game Series - Tacoma Rainiers
- Rainiers sweep Grizzlies 9-7 despite clouts from Taylor and Ward - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Drop Series Finale against Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Local names lead River Cats to victory in finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Keep Bees at Bay - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees, Chihuahuas Split Series - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Rout First-Place Iowa in Game, Series - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Sweeps Iowa with Decisive Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (56-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-72) - Nashville Sounds
- Taking Flight with â?¦ Skye Bolt - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (58-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-58) - Memphis Redbirds
- Blistering Rainiers Offense Leads to Third-Straight Victory against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ending An Eight-Game Skid - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Bats Catch Fire in Comeback Victory over River Cats - Reno Aces
- Davis adds two more dingers but bullpen and defense faulter late - Sacramento River Cats
- Aviators Hold off Isotopes for 6-5 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Fresno tripped up by Tacoma on Saturday - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reno Aces Stories
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled
- Reno Aces, Reno 1868 FC Share Support of Greater Nevada Credit Union
- Aces and 1868 FC Corporate Partners Offer Business and Job Opportunities
- 4.9.20 Reno Aces Release City Pride On-Field "BLC" Cap
- Greater Nevada Field to Host Food Bank of Northern Nevada