Bees, Chihuahuas Split Series
The El Paso Chihuahuas beat the Salt Lake Bees 10-8 on Sunday afternoon.
The Chihuahuas plated one run in the first inning off a fielding error by the Bees to go up 1-0.
In the fourth frame, El Paso scored two runs on a RBI-double and a sacrifice fly to extend its lead 3-0. Josh Thole brought in a run for Salt Lake on a two-out double in the fifth to cut the deficit to 3-1. The Chihuahuas responded with a two-run home run in the sixth and four runs in the seventh to take a 9-1 advantage. Jose Rojas hit a solo shot in the bottom of the seventh to give the Bees their second run of the game. After the Chihuahuas scored one in the top of the eighth, the Bees rallied in the bottom of the eighth and plated four runs off a three-run homer by Jared Walsh and a RBI-single by Ty Kelly. Rojas brought in two runs off his second home run of the game in the bottom of the ninth, but it was not enough as El Paso took the last game of the series 10-8.
Jason Alexander (1-5) made the start for Salt Lake and was tagged with the loss after allowing five runs (four earned) on eight hits while walking one and striking out two. Luke Bard came in to relieve Alexander and tossed a scoreless inning. Two-way Bee Kaleb Cowart surrendered four runs on four hits in one inning of work, reliever Jeremy Rhoades allowed one run in one inning pitched and Zac Ryan tossed a scoreless outing after pitching the ninth. After going 2-for-4 with a home run, Jared Walsh set a new franchise record for most home runs by a left-handed batter with 31, passing David Ortiz who set the record in 1999. Walsh also extended his hitting streak to six games and has hit safely in 17 of his last 18 games played. After belting two round trippers in the contest, Rojas has homered in back-to-back games and has 29 home runs on the season.
Starting tomorrow Salt Lake takes to the road for 11-straight games traveling to Tacoma, Reno and El Paso before returning to Smith's Ballpark on Friday, Aug. 30 for the final four games of the 2019 season.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Dodgers Hang On During Wild Ride in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Homers Doom Round Rock in 14-11 Loss to Oklahoma City - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Nips Omaha 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Skoglund Silences Sounds, Chasers Win 7-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Nashville Fails to Sweep Omaha in Sunday's Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Take Bite out of Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Homers Twice, Tacoma Sweeps Fresno in Four-Game Series - Tacoma Rainiers
- Rainiers sweep Grizzlies 9-7 despite clouts from Taylor and Ward - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Drop Series Finale against Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Local names lead River Cats to victory in finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Keep Bees at Bay - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees, Chihuahuas Split Series - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Rout First-Place Iowa in Game, Series - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Sweeps Iowa with Decisive Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (56-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-72) - Nashville Sounds
- Taking Flight with â?¦ Skye Bolt - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (58-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-58) - Memphis Redbirds
- Blistering Rainiers Offense Leads to Third-Straight Victory against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ending An Eight-Game Skid - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Bats Catch Fire in Comeback Victory over River Cats - Reno Aces
- Davis adds two more dingers but bullpen and defense faulter late - Sacramento River Cats
- Aviators Hold off Isotopes for 6-5 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Fresno tripped up by Tacoma on Saturday - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Salt Lake Bees Stories
- Salt Lake Bees Statement on Minor League Baseball
- Larry H. Miller Group of Companies Announces Massive Food Drive at LHM Dealerships, Megaplex Theatres and Sports Facilities
- MiLB Launches CommUNITY First Campaign
- Salt Lake Bees Announce Ticket PolicyÃÂ
- Netting to be Extended at Smith's Ballpark