Redbirds Rout First-Place Iowa in Game, Series
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The Memphis Redbirds crushed five home runs and the first-place Iowa Cubs (Cubs) in the series finale Sunday afternoon at AutoZone Park, 14-2.
With the four-game sweep of the division-leading Cubs, Memphis is within 7.0 games of first place with 15 games to play in the regular season. The Redbirds and Cubs still play four more times this season, which is final series of the season in Des Moines.
The Redbirds (59-66) have now won eight of their last nine games and 21 of their last 28 overall.
Memphis' five home runs in the game matched a season high, with Dylan Carlson hitting his first at the Triple-A level, Harrison Bader and Edmundo Sosa going back-to-back in the third inning, Bader going deep again leading off the fifth, and John Nogowski launching a three-run homer in the sixth.
The Redbirds had eight extra-base hits in the game, with Carlson tripling and Max Schrock adding two doubles in addition to the five home runs. Memphis drew 11 walks in the game.
Bader and Sosa both moved their hitting streaks to eight-straight games. Sosa has a hit in 21 of his last 22 games overall.
Austin Warner allowed two first-inning runs, but he shut down the Cubs (66-59) after that and finished with five strikeouts in 5.0 innings to earn the win. Jesus Cruz, Zac Rosscup, and Mike Mayers finished the last 4.0 innings in scoreless fashion.
With the series with Iowa concluded, the Redbirds host the Round Rock Express (Astros) tomorrow through Thursday. Memphis remains on its final homestand at AutoZone Park through a game next Sunday afternoon.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Monday, August 19 at 6:35: the Redbirds take the field as the Memphis Música as part of Minor League Baseball's "Copa de la Diversión" series with $3 tacos, $4 Elotes (Mexican Street Corn), and $5 Dos Equis available at the stadium
Wednesday, August 21 at 6:35: Woof Wednesday presented by Invisible Fence Brand of Memphis with dogs able to come to the stadium along with their parents
Thursday, August 22 at 7:05: Grizzlies Night with jersey auction; Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products featuring throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs; College Night with $5 Bluff tickets for college students with a college ID
Friday, August 23 at 7:05: Replica 2018 Triple-A National Championship Ring Giveaway presented by Terminix (first 2,000 fans); All-You-Can-Eat Night specialty ticket presented by Dave & Buster's featuring an all-you-can-eat crab legs buffet and a free $15 Dave & Buster's Power Card available at www.memphisredbirds.com/allyoucaneat; Papa John's Friday Family Pack specialty ticket option with free ballpark food and free Papa John's at www.memphisredbirds.com/fridayfamilypack
Saturday, August 24 at 6:35: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game; Yadier Molina T-Shirt Jersey Giveaway presented by AutoZone (first 1,500 fans); Aldo's Pizza specialty ticket with free soda at the ballpark and free and discounted food and beverages at Aldo's Pizza Pies available at www.memphisredbirds.com/aldos
Sunday, August 25 at 2:05: Fan Appreciation Day presented by Hunter Fan Company (all fans receive a voucher good for a game in 2020); Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air; specialty ticket that includes a St. Louis Cardinals adult road alternate jersey available at www.memphisredbirds.com/cardinals; kids run the bases after the game
Tuesday, Sept. 17 at 7:00: Triple A-National Championship Game presented by Ephesus Sports Lighting.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Dodgers Hang On During Wild Ride in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Homers Doom Round Rock in 14-11 Loss to Oklahoma City - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Nips Omaha 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Skoglund Silences Sounds, Chasers Win 7-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Nashville Fails to Sweep Omaha in Sunday's Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Take Bite out of Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Homers Twice, Tacoma Sweeps Fresno in Four-Game Series - Tacoma Rainiers
- Rainiers sweep Grizzlies 9-7 despite clouts from Taylor and Ward - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Drop Series Finale against Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Local names lead River Cats to victory in finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Keep Bees at Bay - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees, Chihuahuas Split Series - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Rout First-Place Iowa in Game, Series - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Sweeps Iowa with Decisive Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (56-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-72) - Nashville Sounds
- Taking Flight with â?¦ Skye Bolt - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (58-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-58) - Memphis Redbirds
- Blistering Rainiers Offense Leads to Third-Straight Victory against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ending An Eight-Game Skid - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Bats Catch Fire in Comeback Victory over River Cats - Reno Aces
- Davis adds two more dingers but bullpen and defense faulter late - Sacramento River Cats
- Aviators Hold off Isotopes for 6-5 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Fresno tripped up by Tacoma on Saturday - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- Redbirds to Host Yard Sale Saturday
- AutoZone Park to Host Free Movie Night Presented by Terminix
- MLB Names Peter B. Freund to Guide Transition of Licensed Affiliates
- Memphis Redbirds Statement on Season Cancellation
- Minor League Baseball Delays Start of 2020 Season