Blistering Rainiers Offense Leads to Third-Straight Victory against Fresno
Tacoma, WA - Infielder Daniel Castro collected four hits, three RBI and belted his second Tacoma home run as the Rainiers defeated the Fresno Grizzlies in their third-straight victory on Saturday, 11-1, and will play for a four-game series sweep on Sunday at Cheney Stadium.
After a two-run single in the second inning, Castro throttled his solo blast over the left field fence in the home half of the fourth, furthering Tacoma's lead, 6-1. The 26-year-old went 4-for-5 with two runs and three RBI in the victory.
The Rainiers (56-68) took an early one-run lead in the bottom of the first when Jake Fraley raced home on a wild pitch from Fresno (55-69) starter Wil Crowe.
After the Grizzlies knotted the score in the top of the second, Tacoma took back the lead in the next half inning when Jaycob Brugman was pushed through on a walk, followed by Castro's two-run single.
In the bottom of the third, Joe Odom lifted an RBI single that scored Brugman to extend the Rainiers lead by four. The catcher collected four hits with a run and a double on Saturday, marking his second career game where he has racked up four hits, his first on August 6, 2014.
Two innings later, Brugman laced an opposite field, bases-loaded double that scored Castro, Eric Filia and Ryan Court. Aaron Knapp extended the lead to nine when he singled home Brugman to cap a four-run sixth.
In the bottom of the eighth, Tomlinson scored the final run of the game when he singled home Court.
Sean Nolin (5-2) tossed 5 2/3 innings of one-run ball with five strikeouts to earn the win. Nolin is 2-0 against Fresno this season going 13 innings with two earned runs allowed against the Grizzlies.
Dan Altavilla took over on the mound with two outs in the sixth. The righty retired the first batter he faced and totaled 1 1/3 frames of perfect baseball.
Right-hander Gerson Bautista delivered a scoreless eighth and sidewinder Aaron Northcraft closed out the contest with a 1-2-3 ninth.
The Rainiers will play for a four-game series sweep against the Grizzlies on Sunday at Cheney Stadium. First pitch is at 1:35 p.m. PDT as right-hander Andrew Moore (0-3, 8.17) takes the mound for Tacoma. Mike Curto will have full coverage on South Sound Talk 850 with audio streaming available on the Tacoma Rainiers TuneIn Radio Network.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), on Instagram (@tacomarainiers), or by liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Daniel Castro of the Tacoma Rainiers
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Dodgers Hang On During Wild Ride in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Homers Doom Round Rock in 14-11 Loss to Oklahoma City - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Nips Omaha 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Skoglund Silences Sounds, Chasers Win 7-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Nashville Fails to Sweep Omaha in Sunday's Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Take Bite out of Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Homers Twice, Tacoma Sweeps Fresno in Four-Game Series - Tacoma Rainiers
- Rainiers sweep Grizzlies 9-7 despite clouts from Taylor and Ward - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Drop Series Finale against Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Local names lead River Cats to victory in finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Keep Bees at Bay - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees, Chihuahuas Split Series - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Rout First-Place Iowa in Game, Series - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Sweeps Iowa with Decisive Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (56-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-72) - Nashville Sounds
- Taking Flight with â?¦ Skye Bolt - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (58-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-58) - Memphis Redbirds
- Blistering Rainiers Offense Leads to Third-Straight Victory against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ending An Eight-Game Skid - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Bats Catch Fire in Comeback Victory over River Cats - Reno Aces
- Davis adds two more dingers but bullpen and defense faulter late - Sacramento River Cats
- Aviators Hold off Isotopes for 6-5 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Fresno tripped up by Tacoma on Saturday - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Kristopher Negrón Named Triple-A West Manager of the Year; José Marmolejos Most Valuable Player
- Ring Season
- Tacoma Concludes Season with Sunday Shutout of Salt Lake
- Salt Lake Slips by Tacoma 4-3 in Extras on Saturday
- Rainiers Rally to Slide Past Salt Lake in Extras Friday