Memphis Sweeps Iowa with Decisive Victory
MEMPHIS, TN - The Memphis Redbirds (59-66) completed the sweep over the Iowa Cubs (66-59) with a 14-2 win, Sunday at AutoZone Park.
Daniel Descalso clubbed a two-run home run in the first inning for the second consecutive game for the day's first scoring. That would be the only offense Iowa would manage as Memphis ran away with the game from there.
A Dylan Carlson homer led off the bottom of the first to cut Iowa's lead in half. The ball kept flying and back-to-back homers off the bats of Harrison Bader and Edmundo Sosa put the Redbirds ahead to stay.
Memphis scored in each of the next three frames to set the game out of reach for Iowa. Bader cracked his second homer of the game in the fifth before the Redbirds punctuated the effort with a five-run sixth inning. John Nogowski homered in the frame for Memphis' fifth of the game.
The Redbirds tacked on another three runs in the eighth as outfielder Donnie Dewees and first baseman Jim Adduci closed out the game from the mound.
Adbert Alzolay (L, 2-4) took the loss after allowing four earned runs through 4.0 innings while tying a career high with three home runs allowed. James Norwood was Iowa's most effective arm as he fanned all four batters he faced in 1.1 innings of work.
- Daniel Descalso went 1-for-1 with a home run, two RBI and a walk in his second rehab game with Iowa.
- Memphis' 14 runs are the most for an Iowa opponent since a 5-18 loss to Oklahoma City on July 18.
- Memphis cut Iowa's divisional lead to 7.0 with four head-to-head matchups remaining.
Iowa returns to Principal Park Monday for a 7:08 p.m. start vs. San Antonio. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Dodgers Hang On During Wild Ride in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Homers Doom Round Rock in 14-11 Loss to Oklahoma City - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Nips Omaha 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Skoglund Silences Sounds, Chasers Win 7-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Nashville Fails to Sweep Omaha in Sunday's Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Take Bite out of Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Homers Twice, Tacoma Sweeps Fresno in Four-Game Series - Tacoma Rainiers
- Rainiers sweep Grizzlies 9-7 despite clouts from Taylor and Ward - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Drop Series Finale against Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Local names lead River Cats to victory in finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Keep Bees at Bay - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees, Chihuahuas Split Series - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Rout First-Place Iowa in Game, Series - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Sweeps Iowa with Decisive Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (56-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-72) - Nashville Sounds
- Taking Flight with â?¦ Skye Bolt - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (58-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-58) - Memphis Redbirds
- Blistering Rainiers Offense Leads to Third-Straight Victory against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ending An Eight-Game Skid - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Bats Catch Fire in Comeback Victory over River Cats - Reno Aces
- Davis adds two more dingers but bullpen and defense faulter late - Sacramento River Cats
- Aviators Hold off Isotopes for 6-5 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Fresno tripped up by Tacoma on Saturday - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.