Brugman Homers Twice, Tacoma Sweeps Fresno in Four-Game Series
Tacoma, WA - Jaycob Brugman throttled two home runs and drove in five for Tacoma as the Rainiers completed a come-from-behind victory and swept the Fresno Grizzlies in the four-game series finale at Cheney Stadium on Sunday, 9-7.
After Fresno (55-70) took an early three-run lead in the top of the second, Brugman belted his first of two bombs in the next half inning to narrow the deficit, 3-1. In the bottom of the fifth the lefty slugger knotted the score, 7-7, with an opposite-field, three-run round-tripper to score Ryan Court and Eric Filia.
Brugman finished the four-game tilt 8-for-18 with four home runs, two doubles and 13 RBI, improving his average to .500 (15-for-30) against the Grizzlies this season.
With Tacoma (56-68) down by three in the bottom of the third, John Andreoli launched a solo blast over the left field fence, his eighth of the campaign. Shortly after, Brugman scored Filia with a sacrifice groundout, putting the Rainiers within a run, 4-3.
The Grizzlies collected three more runs in the top of the fourth before Jake Fraley lifted a solo home run on a line drive off the right-center field scoreboard to narrow the deficit, 7-4. Since being reactivated from the IL on August 12, the outfielder has composed a six-game hitting streak, going 9-for 26 with two home runs and three doubles.
After Brugman knotted the score with his three-run dinger in the fifth, Ryan Court drove home Fraley in the bottom of the sixth with a two-run big fly to put the Rainiers ahead for good.
Right-hander Andrew Moore made his ninth appearance (fifth start) for Tacoma on Sunday and was charged with three runs across the first two frames, but was let off the hook for the loss with Brugman's fifth inning homer.
Nabil Crismatt took over on the mound in the third and surrendered four runs across three innings before handing the ball to Darin Gillies (1-2). The righty tossed two frames, allowing only one hit en route to his first win of the season with Tacoma, and Matt Festa slammed the door when he spun the final two innings of scoreless baseball.
Tacoma's fourth-straight victory against Fresno marks their first series sweep of the season and the third time the team has won four-in-a-row throughout the campaign.
Felix Hernandez (0-1,7.71), who is on a Major League rehab assignment after a Grade 1 lat strain, will get the start at Cheney Stadium on Monday at 7:05 p.m. PDT as the Rainiers begin a three gamer against the Salt Lake Bees, Triple-A affiliate of the Los Angeles. Mike Curto will have full coverage on South Sound Talk 850 with audio streaming available on the Tacoma Rainiers TuneIn Radio Network.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), on Instagram (@tacomarainiers), or by liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Jaycob Brugman of the Tacoma Rainiers receives congratulations after a home run
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Dodgers Hang On During Wild Ride in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Homers Doom Round Rock in 14-11 Loss to Oklahoma City - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Nips Omaha 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Skoglund Silences Sounds, Chasers Win 7-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Nashville Fails to Sweep Omaha in Sunday's Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Take Bite out of Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Homers Twice, Tacoma Sweeps Fresno in Four-Game Series - Tacoma Rainiers
- Rainiers sweep Grizzlies 9-7 despite clouts from Taylor and Ward - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Drop Series Finale against Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Local names lead River Cats to victory in finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Keep Bees at Bay - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees, Chihuahuas Split Series - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Rout First-Place Iowa in Game, Series - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Sweeps Iowa with Decisive Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (56-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-72) - Nashville Sounds
- Taking Flight with â?¦ Skye Bolt - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (58-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-58) - Memphis Redbirds
- Blistering Rainiers Offense Leads to Third-Straight Victory against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ending An Eight-Game Skid - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Bats Catch Fire in Comeback Victory over River Cats - Reno Aces
- Davis adds two more dingers but bullpen and defense faulter late - Sacramento River Cats
- Aviators Hold off Isotopes for 6-5 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Fresno tripped up by Tacoma on Saturday - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Brugman Homers One Last Time, Rainiers Fall to Las Vegas in Season Finale
- Nolin Strikes out 11, Rainiers Drop Sunday Night Match-Up against Aviators
- Misiewicz Dominant to Propel Rainiers to Second-Straight Win in Las Vegas
- Andreoli Racks up Four Hits, Brugman Knocks in Game-Winner for Rainiers
- Brugman Plates Four, Rainiers Drop Series Finale to Fresno