Davis adds two more dingers but bullpen and defense faulter late
RENO, Nev. - The Sacramento River Cats (65-59) led by five runs two separate times, but the Reno Aces (59-65) stormed back with a seven-run rally in the eighth to take the third game of the series 13-10.
Left fielder Jaylin Davis continued his torrid road pace for the River Cats with another massive game in Reno Saturday night. He launched two more homers, bringing his series total to six. Davis has now homered in three straight games and is batting an incredible .667 (16-for-27) with eight home runs in just seven road games since joining Sacramento.
Aramis Garcia has quietly gone about his business the past two games, churning out another 4-for-5 night, including two doubles and an RBI. Garcia is now 8-for-10 in this series. Mike Gerber also collected four hits, going 4-for-6, with a homer, three runs scored and one RBI.
The River Cats led just about the entire game, holding leads of 5-0 and 8-3 before going to the bottom of the eighth ahead 10-6. After retiring Aces first baseman Kevin Cron to begin the frame, the next nine Aces batters would reach base against Melvin Adon and later Steven Okert. The River Cats would get the tying run to the plate in the ninth, but Chris Shaw flied out to end the game.
Right-hander Justin Haley (0-1, 23.63) will look to salvage the series split for the River Cats in the Sunday finale, while Reno will counter with righty Braden Shipley (4-4, 7.22). First pitch is set for 1:05 p.m. (PT). Listen to all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, and on Money 105.5 FM.
For the second consecutive game, the River Cats have had a pitcher collect a hit and an RBI - Conner Menez lined an RBI-single to center field for his first hit as a River Cat. It was Menez's second career hit.
For just the tenth time this season and fifth time on the road, the River Cats were unable to win the ball game even when leading after the seven inning. The River Cats are now 52-10 when leading after seven.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion -San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Dodgers Hang On During Wild Ride in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Homers Doom Round Rock in 14-11 Loss to Oklahoma City - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Nips Omaha 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Skoglund Silences Sounds, Chasers Win 7-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Nashville Fails to Sweep Omaha in Sunday's Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Take Bite out of Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Homers Twice, Tacoma Sweeps Fresno in Four-Game Series - Tacoma Rainiers
- Rainiers sweep Grizzlies 9-7 despite clouts from Taylor and Ward - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Drop Series Finale against Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Local names lead River Cats to victory in finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Keep Bees at Bay - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees, Chihuahuas Split Series - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Rout First-Place Iowa in Game, Series - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Sweeps Iowa with Decisive Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (56-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-72) - Nashville Sounds
- Taking Flight with â?¦ Skye Bolt - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (58-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-58) - Memphis Redbirds
- Blistering Rainiers Offense Leads to Third-Straight Victory against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ending An Eight-Game Skid - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Bats Catch Fire in Comeback Victory over River Cats - Reno Aces
- Davis adds two more dingers but bullpen and defense faulter late - Sacramento River Cats
- Aviators Hold off Isotopes for 6-5 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Fresno tripped up by Tacoma on Saturday - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats to Host Annual Preseason Party this Sunday
- River Cats Renew Partnership with FanCompass, Seek to Enhance Fan Engagement
- River Cats to Host Job Fairs January 25 and February 8
- Dave Brundage Returns as River Cats Manager to Defend Title in 2020
- USA Softball Team to Visit Sutter Health Park in Tune-Up for Olympics