Nashville Fails to Sweep Omaha in Sunday's Loss
NASHVILLE - The Sounds were unable to complete a four-game sweep against Omaha Sunday night, losing 7-4. Nashville scored runs in the eighth and ninth inning but were unable to stage a comeback.
Nick Solak led off the bottom of the first inning with the second inning. Scott Heineman scored Solak with his eighth home run of the season. That put Nashville up 2-0 early.
Taylor Featherston scored the first run of the game for Omaha with a solo home run in the top of the third inning. It was his first hit this season for the Storm Chasers. That cut Nashville's lead 2-1.
There wouldn't be another score until the sixth inning, where Omaha took the lead. Erick Mejia led off with a single and scored on a triple by Jorge Bonifacio. He scored the go-ahead run when Erick Weiss hit a single to put the score at 3-2, Omaha.
Eric Skoglund settled in for Omaha after allowing the home run to Heineman. He retired 15-straight hitters from the first inning to the middle of the sixth inning. He finished with 7.0 innings and allowed just the two runs in the first. He struck out three Nashville hitters.
Another run crossed the plate for the Storm Chasers in the seventh inning. Professional baseball's stolen base leader Nick Heath walked and proceeded to steal second and third base. He scored on a wild pitch to make it a 4-2 game in Omaha's favor.
Nashville was able to scratch across a run in the bottom of the eighth inning. Zack Granite tripled in the bottom of the eighth inning and scored on an infield single by Solak. That cut Omaha's lead 4-3.
The Storm Chasers would respond to the Nashville's late comeback attempt by adding three runs in the top of the ninth. Matt Davidson hit a solo home in the bottom of the ninth but that would be it, as Omaha finished off the Sounds 7-4.
The Sounds hit the road tomorrow for a 12-game, 11-day road trip the starts with a five-game series at Oklahoma City. With first pitch at 7:05 p.m., with right-hander Austin Bibens-Dirkx (0-3, 7.94) starting for the Sounds and will face Dodgers' right-hander J.D. Martin (3-0, 5.40).
With tonight's 7-3 loss, the Sounds drop to 56-67 in 2019.
The Sounds five-game winning streak was snapped tonight, making it the third time this season Nashville couldn't reach six-straight wins.
After hitting his home run in the bottom of the first inning, Scott Heineman was replaced defensively in the second inning by Patrick Wisdom in right field.
Matt Davidson's home run was his 27th of the season, setting his single season career-high.
Wes Benjamin recorded his fifth quality start of the season.
The 2019 season is the 42nd in Nashville Sounds franchise history and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Dodgers Hang On During Wild Ride in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Homers Doom Round Rock in 14-11 Loss to Oklahoma City - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Nips Omaha 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Skoglund Silences Sounds, Chasers Win 7-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Nashville Fails to Sweep Omaha in Sunday's Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Take Bite out of Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Homers Twice, Tacoma Sweeps Fresno in Four-Game Series - Tacoma Rainiers
- Rainiers sweep Grizzlies 9-7 despite clouts from Taylor and Ward - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Drop Series Finale against Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Local names lead River Cats to victory in finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Keep Bees at Bay - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees, Chihuahuas Split Series - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Rout First-Place Iowa in Game, Series - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Sweeps Iowa with Decisive Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (56-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-72) - Nashville Sounds
- Taking Flight with â?¦ Skye Bolt - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (58-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-58) - Memphis Redbirds
- Blistering Rainiers Offense Leads to Third-Straight Victory against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ending An Eight-Game Skid - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Bats Catch Fire in Comeback Victory over River Cats - Reno Aces
- Davis adds two more dingers but bullpen and defense faulter late - Sacramento River Cats
- Aviators Hold off Isotopes for 6-5 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Fresno tripped up by Tacoma on Saturday - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Sounds to Host Job Fair for GLOW Nashville on Monday, October 28 at First Tennessee Park
- Nashville Sounds Nominated for Prestigious Minor League Baseball Honor
- Sounds Win Season Finale on Walk-Off
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (65-72) vs. San Antonio Missions (80-59)
- Dillard Dazzles in Front of Sellout Crowd