Aces Bats Catch Fire in Comeback Victory over River Cats
Reno, NV. - Down 10-6 heading into the bottom of the eighth inning, the Aces strung together eight hits to score seven runs to propel them to a 13-10 victory over the Sacramento River Cats. Trailing by one, Abraham Almonte knocked in the tying run on an RBI-single to left to score Carlos Asuaje. Tim Locastro followed it up with a two-RBI double to give the Biggest Little City a 12-10 advantage. The very next hitter, Ildemaro Vargas, tripled to bring in Locastro and the final run of the night. The win puts Reno six games behind Sacramento in the Pacific Northern division with five head-to-head matchups remaining. Damien Magnifico earned his second win of the year in the contest throwing two innings of shutout baseball in relief. Lucas Luetge picked up his first save of the season for Reno. Kevin Cron homered in the game, good for his 38th of the season in an Aces' uniform. The River Cats' Jaylin Davis went deep two more times in the game and now has six big flies total in the series. Reno and Sacramento will pick things back up tomorrow at 1:05 p.m. PT.
Top Performers - Reno
Kevin Cron (1-for-4, HR, 2 RBI)
Ildemaro Vargas (2-for-4, 3B, RBI)
Tim Locastro (1-for-4, 2B, 2 R)
Top Performers - Sacramento
Jaylin Davis (3-for-4, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 4 R)
Mike Gerber (4-for-6, HR, 3 R)
Aramis Garcia (4-for-5, 2B, RBI)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) (PT) RADIO/TV
Sunday August 18 Sacramento TBD vs. TBD 1:05 p.m. KPLY 630 AM
Notes & Information
Division Watch: The Aces cut into Sacramento's Pacific Northern division lead with the win tonight. Reno trails the River Cats by six games again with 17 games remaining in the season for both clubs and five head-to-head matchups left.
Vargas Triples: With Ildemaro Vargas' eighth inning triple, he passed Kristopher Negron to move into sole position of fourth place for career Triples with the Aces. He now has 17. Cole Gillespie has the most in franchise history with 30.
Jaylin "Big Fly" Davis: Cats' outfielder, Jaylin Davis, has absolutely torched the Aces pitching staff over the last three games. The slugger is 8-for-13 with six home runs, nine RBI, and nine runs scored against the Aces this season. Since coming over from the Minnesota Twins organization in the SF Giants' Sam Dyson trade, the righty is batting .404 with eight homers, 19 RBI, and 14 runs scored in 14 games played.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Dodgers Hang On During Wild Ride in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Homers Doom Round Rock in 14-11 Loss to Oklahoma City - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Nips Omaha 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Skoglund Silences Sounds, Chasers Win 7-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Nashville Fails to Sweep Omaha in Sunday's Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Take Bite out of Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Brugman Homers Twice, Tacoma Sweeps Fresno in Four-Game Series - Tacoma Rainiers
- Rainiers sweep Grizzlies 9-7 despite clouts from Taylor and Ward - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces Drop Series Finale against Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Local names lead River Cats to victory in finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Keep Bees at Bay - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees, Chihuahuas Split Series - Salt Lake Bees
- Redbirds Rout First-Place Iowa in Game, Series - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Sweeps Iowa with Decisive Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (56-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-72) - Nashville Sounds
- Taking Flight with â?¦ Skye Bolt - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 18, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (58-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-58) - Memphis Redbirds
- Blistering Rainiers Offense Leads to Third-Straight Victory against Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ending An Eight-Game Skid - San Antonio Missions
- Aces Bats Catch Fire in Comeback Victory over River Cats - Reno Aces
- Davis adds two more dingers but bullpen and defense faulter late - Sacramento River Cats
- Aviators Hold off Isotopes for 6-5 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Fresno tripped up by Tacoma on Saturday - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.