Komets Open 2019 with Three-Game Win Streak
Fort Wayne, IN - The Komets gained six points in week 13 of 2018-19 going 3-1-0 and improving to 19-14-1 and 39 points after 34 games and took sole possession of third place, trailing first-place Cincinnati in the Central division by 11 points.
The week started with the Komets ringing out 2018 with a 4-3 setback on New Year's Eve to Brampton. The Komets then rallied with a 3-0-0 start to 2019 by stopping the Fuel at Indy Thursday 4-1, clipping the Cyclones in Cincinnati Friday 2-1 and edging Indy Saturday in Fort Wayne 3-2.
For the week Justin Hodgman scored points in three of the four games totaling three goals and two assists, Jake Kamrass dished five assists, Mason Baptista scored two goals and added two assists for a four-point week, Anthony Petruzzelli netted three goals and added an assist, Jamie Schaafsma logged three assists, J.C. Campagna bagged a pair of goals, and scoring two points each were Kevin Gibson, Brady Shaw and Craig Cescon. Goaltender Lukas Hafner appeared in two games posting a 1-1-0 record, 2.53 goals-against average and .896 save percentage while Zach Fucale was 2-0-0 in a pair of starts and earned a 1.50 goals-against average and .951 save percentage for the week. The Komets out-shot their opponents 117 to 109 and are 11-8-0 when out-shooting opponents.
Komet leaders-- Hodgman leads with 27 assists (2nd in ECHL), 39 points (4th in ECHL) and +9.....Campagna leads with 16 goals and four game winning goals.....Shawn Szydlowski leads with eight power play assists......Kamrass leads Fort Wayne rookies with 14 goals, 20 assists, 34 points (3rd among league rookies) and +7. Kamrass set a team season-high point streak of 11 games (5g, 8a) through games of Jan. 3 .....Taylor Crunk leads with 79 penalty minutes.
Komet streaks-- Baptista has a three-game point-scoring streak (2g, 2a).....Kamrass has points in nine straight home games (5g, 7a).....Hodgman has a four-game home point streak (2g, 3a)....the Komets have a three-game winning streak and have won the last three straight road games.
K's PK-- The Komets were 15/16 on the penalty kill for the week and improved to fifth best in the league on the PK with a successful rate of 130/152 and 85.5%.
The week ahead-- The Komets will skate another three-in-three this weekend starting at Indy Friday night at 7:35. Saturday the Komets open a weekend home double-header on Sweetwater Ice at the Memorial Coliseum. The Utah Grizzlies are in town Saturday at 7:30pm and the Kalamazoo Wings visit for a 5pm Sunday faceoff.
Friday, Komets at Indy Fuel (18-16-0, 36 points), 7:35pm-- The Komets have won the last two games against Indy and are 4-1-0 after five meetings with six remaining. The division rival Fuel start the week on the heels of the Komets trailing by three points and are tied with Wheeling for fourth place with 36 points after 34 games. Indy is 5-3-0 in their last eight games and host Kansas City Tuesday before the Komets visit Friday.
Saturday Utah Grizzlies (20-8-4, 44 points) at Komets, 7:30pm-- The Grizzlies lead the tight Mountain division by a point over Idaho and have a two-point lead over Tulsa at the start of the week. Last year the Komets were 1-1-0 against Utah. Saturday's tilt is the only meeting between the Komets and Grizzlies this season. Utah starts the week riding a three-game win streak and are coming off a five-game home stand where they were 4-1-0. The Grizzlies get on the bus for a three-game road trip this week starting at Cincinnati Wednesday, then to Wheeling Friday before arriving in Fort Wayne Saturday.
Sunday, Kalamazoo Wings (15-18-1, 31 points) at Komets, 5pm-- The Kalamazoo Wings are looking to snap a four-game losing streak this week when they host Brampton Friday before traveling to Fort Wayne Sunday. The Komets won the last meeting 2-1 on Dec. 27 in Fort Wayne and are an even 3-3-0 after six meetings with five remaining.
Meijer Family Night Sunday-- The Komets present Meijer Family Night at every Sunday home game this season. Coupons for a Sunday 4-for-$36 ticket offer are available at all Meijer locations around the Fort Wayne area. Also, fans can bring their skates for a free open skate after each Sunday Family Night home game.
Komet Hockey Tickets-- Single game tickets for all Komet regular season home games are on sale at the Coliseum Ticket Office. Enjoy several discount plans designed especially for your next group, or check out Komets Flex Tickets. For more information visit Komets.com, call 260-483-0011 or see details here.
Komet Hockey on WOWO-- Fans can follow Komet hockey action again this year with Shane Albahrani calling the play-by-play on WOWO Radio AM 1190 and FM 107.5 and streaming on the web at Komets.com courtesy OmniSource.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 7, 2019
- 'Blades Weekly: Homestand Continues with 3 Tilts against Greenville - Florida Everblades
- Thunder Weekly, January 7th - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - January 7 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspensions - ECHL
- Jalen Smereck Named as Alternate for CCM / ECHL All-Star Classic - Norfolk Admirals
- Iacobellis Selected to CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - Wichita Thunder
- Neil Manning Selected to ECHL All-Star Roster - Indy Fuel
- Walleye Heading West - Toledo Walleye
- Mitch Gillam Selected to 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic Roster - Worcester Railers HC
- Mingo Selected to All-Star Team - Jacksonville IceMen
- VanWormer Selected as 2019 ECHL All-Star - Kansas City Mavericks
- Brent Pedersen Named as Alternate for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - Orlando Solar Bears
- Glotov Named to the CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Charbonneau Named to ECHL All-Star Classic Roster - South Carolina Stingrays
- Reading Native Swavely Named Alternate for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - Reading Royals
- Kevin Spinozzi Named to 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - Wheeling Nailers
- Taylor Named to 2019 Ccm/ECHL All-Star Classic - Kalamazoo Wings
- CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic Rosters Are Set - Toledo Walleye
- Mike Szmatula Selected as 2019 ECHL All-Star - Adirondack Thunder
- Giorgio Estephan Named to the ECHL 2019 All-Star Classic - Newfoundland Growlers
- Tomas Sholl Selected to 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - Idaho Steelheads
- Johno May Named to Team East in 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Komets Forward Justin Hodgman Tagged ECHL All Star - Fort Wayne Komets
- Monarchs Defenseman David Kolomatis Named 2019 All-Star - Manchester Monarchs
- Joe Cox Named to Roster for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - Florida Everblades
- Rosters Announced for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Halverson Recalled to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Stingrays Weekly Report - January 7 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Komets Open 2019 with Three-Game Win Streak - Fort Wayne Komets
- Grizzlies Begin 3 Game Road Trip Wednesday - Utah Grizzlies
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, January 7 - Wheeling Nailers
- Lightning Reassign Sosunov from Solar Bears to Crunch - Orlando Solar Bears
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Fuel to Welcome Three-Time Stanley Cup Champion Bryan Bickell to Indianapolis on January 19 - Indy Fuel
- Steelheads Weely - January 7, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - January 7 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.