K-Wings Sellout Willis Jersey Retirement, Fall to Walleye in Regulation
KALAMAZOO, MI - The Kalamazoo Wings (36-34-1-0) trailed by one goal for the majority of the hockey game on Tyler Willis' jersey retirement night, and lost to the Toledo Walleye (47-19-2-2) in the last home game of the regular season Friday at Wings Event Center, 3-0.
The night started off jubilant as K-Wings legend Tyler Willis' No. 13 was enshrined in the Wings Event Center rafters in front of 5,291 fans. It goes in the books as the fifth sellout at Wings Event Center this season.
Toledo scored the game's opening goal at the 2:55 mark of the first, and the score held at 1-0 all the way until the 16:46 mark of the third period.
That's when the Walleye added an insurance goal and capped the game with an empty-netter.
Trevor Gorsuch (23-24-0-0) made 17 saves in the loss, and the K-Wings outshot the Walleye 39-20 in the contest.
With the loss and the Cincinnati tie, Kalamazoo is eliminated from Kelly Cup Playoff contention.
On the season, 135,021 fans came out to support the red, white and blue at Wings Event Center. Kalamazoo made history again with professional hockey's first Rainbow Ice game and sported a 26% increase in attendance rate compared to the 2018-19 season. That number currently leads the ECHL.
Next up for Kalamazoo is the last game of the regular season against the Toledo Walleye at 7:15 p.m. EDT on Saturday at Huntington Center.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 15, 2022
- Rush Edged by Oilers, 1-0 - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Clinch Playoff Spot with Shutout Victory - Tulsa Oilers
- Steelheads Just Edged by Grizzlies, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Clinch Playoff Spot - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Thunder Falls in Final Road Game of Season in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Lions Clinch Third-Place in the North Division - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- K-Wings Sellout Willis Jersey Retirement, Fall to Walleye in Regulation - Kalamazoo Wings
- Iowa Scores Twice in Third But Allen Wins It in OT, 3-2 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Railers Struggle to Score in 5-0 Defeat to Trois-Rivières - Worcester Railers HC
- Fuel Come Back to Defeat Cincinnati in a Shootout - Indy Fuel
- Admirals Surge Past Stingrays, Win 4-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Fall in Season Finale - South Carolina Stingrays
- Christopoulos Shuts out Wings, Walleye Reach 100 Points - Toledo Walleye
- Gladiators Gain Crucial Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss - Atlanta Gladiators
- Goalie Duel Goes to Fort Wayne, 2-1 - Wheeling Nailers
- Solar Bears Dealt Blow to Playoff Hopes in 3-1 Loss to Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- Santos' Overtime Winner Puts Mariners in Control of Own Destiny - Maine Mariners
- Gennaro Scores Twice in 3-2 Overtime Triumph - Florida Everblades
- Growlers Bested 2-1 in OT by Mariners - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - April 15 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Next to Last Regular Season Game - Utah Grizzlies
- Newfoundland's O'Brien Receives 2021-22 ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Greenville Swamp Rabbits: April 15, 2022 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: vs Tulsa - Rapid City Rush
- Trevin Kozlowski Wins ECHL Community Service Award - Iowa Heartlanders
- Glads Hit Road with Eyes on Division Title - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Plays Final Road Game Tonight at Kansas City - Wichita Thunder
- Morning Tea: Swamp Rabbits vs Solar Bears - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Iowa's Kozlowski Receives 2021-22 ECHL Community Service Award - ECHL
- Game Day: Must Win Series Continues Tonight in Allen - Allen Americans
- Royals Clash with Thunder in Final Road Game of the Regular Season - Reading Royals
- Lions Hope to Clinch Playoff Spot Tonight - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Everblades to Host Gladiators for South Division Showdown - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.