Indy Emerges Victorious in Defensive Tussle
WHEELING, WV - The Wheeling Nailers have been getting some terrific goaltending performances over the last few weeks, but have had difficulty making their way into the win column. On Friday night, Tommy Nappier turned in a 25-save effort, but a third period goal by Keoni Texeira snapped a 1-1 tie, as the Indy Fuel went on to the 3-1 win over the Nailers at WesBanco Arena.
National Doughnut Day saw doughnuts on the scoreboard for the better part of two periods, as the two sides turned in strong defensive performances. Less than a minute after a successful penalty kill, the Nailers broke through with the opening goal. Brendan Harris put the puck on a tee for Patrick Watling, who stepped up and clobbered in a one-timer from high in the offensive zone. Indy responded 1:09 later to send the game into the intermission deadlocked, as Tim Davison waltzed into the slot and slipped in a backhander.
A little more than five minutes into the third period, the Fuel took their first lead of the night, as Keoni Texeira snapped in a shot from the right side of the slot, with traffic set up in front of the cage. Wheeling put a game-high 14 shots on goal in the final frame, but were unable to net an equalizer. Nic Pierog iced Indy's 3-1 win with an empty netter.
Dan Bakala earned the victory for the Fuel by denying 27 of the 28 shots he faced. Tommy Nappier was excellent in goal again for the Nailers, but wound up with the defeat, as he made 25 saves on 27 shots.
The Nailers will wrap up their 29th season on Saturday night with a 7:10 tilt against the Fuel. To purchase tickets or to get more information, visit wheelingnailers.com or call (304) 234-GOAL. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley.
Images from this story
Indy Fuel battles the Wheeling Nailers
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from June 4, 2021
- Americans Offense Too Much for Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Rabbits Conclude Regular Season with Thrilling Overtime Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Icemen End Orlando's Playoff Hopes with 5-1 Win - Jacksonville Icemen
- Oilers Fall in Final Game of Season - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears eliminated from playoff contention in 5-1 loss to Icemen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Allen Opens Weekend with a Win over Rush - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Take Down Tulsa Friday Night, 4-3 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Announces Dates for First Round of 2021 Kelly Cup Playoffs - Wichita Thunder
- Rabbits Edge Blades 2-1 in Overtime - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays Clinch Kelly Cup Playoff Berth - South Carolina Stingrays
- Indy Emerges Victorious in Defensive Tussle - Wheeling Nailers
- Fuel Sets Franchise Record for Wins with Victory over Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Weekend Preview June 4 and 5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Komets Sign Goaltender Justin Kapelmaster - Fort Wayne Komets
- ECHL Transactions - June 4 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Icemen, June 4, 2021 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Everblades, 7:30 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Aaron Luchuk Receives 2020-21 ECHL Sportsmanship Award - Orlando Solar Bears
- Orlando's Luchuk Receives 2020-21 ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Grizzlies Preview: Fort Wayne at Utah on June 4, 2021 - Utah Grizzlies
- Rapid City Wins 2020-21 Best Ice Award - Rapid City Rush
- Peter Quenneville and Tyler Coulter Named to All-ECHL 2nd Team - Rapid City Rush
- Game Day Preview: Americans Host Rapid City, 7:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Rapid City Wins 2020-21 Best Ice Award - ECHL
- Brabham Cup Within Reach for Blades - Florida Everblades
- Greenville and Indy Set to Dance in Round 1 of 2021 Kelly Cup Playoffs - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Nailers Name Derek Army Head Coach, Remove Interim Tag - Wheeling Nailers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.