IceMen Battle 'Blades at Home Tonight
For the 10th time in the 2017-18 season, presented by Community First Credit Union, the Jacksonville Icemen (22-29-4-3, 51 pts) are squaring off against in-state rival, Florida Everblades (39-12-2-4, 84 pts), tonight at 7:30 p.m.
Both teams enter tonight's contest with two different situations. The Eastern Conference-leading 'Blades clinched a playoff berth just over a week ago when they beat the Icemen, 6-2, in Estero. On the other side, the Icemen are fighting for their playoff lives, and doing a great job at it. Jacksonville is only eight points behind fourth-place Atlanta, but the Icemen have three games in hand on the Gladiators with two critical meetings in Georgia next week.
Florida is on a three-game winning streak, a streak that started on Feb. 28 with a win over Jacksonville. The 'Blades have continued to stifle opponents defensively, limiting teams to an average of 2.47 goals per game, which ranks them third in the ECHL. In fact, no team in the entire league has allowed less shots against on average than Florida, recording an impressive 27.11 shots against per game. Great defense paired with even better goaltending has been the key to success for the dominating 'Blades, but the Icemen have found success in the past against Florida.
After a week off, the Icemen's lineup will look a bit differently than it did against Reading on March 2. Jacksonville has added three players to the blue line and one up front as the playoff push moves into high gear. Justin Woods and Matt Ustaski are set to make their pro debuts, while defenseman Jake Kulevich is ready to make his start in the ECHL. Another addition, Kyle Bigos, brings a lot of pro experience to the Jacksonville defense as the team enters the final stretch of the season.
The Icemen are proving just how important home ice advantage is. Jacksonville is carrying a three-game home winning streak into tonight's game against Florida. They're going to need every bit of support from the home fans tonight as they attempt to beat the 'Blades for the first time at Veterans Memorial Arena.
Do you have your tickets for this weekend's games? Click here to cheer on the Icemen tonight as they host the 'Blades at 7:30 p.m.
(Photo credit: Kevin Bires)
Jacksonville Icemen: 22-29-4-3 (6th in South division)
Florida Everblades: 39-12-2-4 (1st in South division)
Icemen: 23/233 - 9.9% (27th in ECHL)
Everblades: 37/214 - 17.3% (13th in ECHL)
Icemen: 212/256 - 82.8% (14th in ECHL)
Everblades: 219/254 - 86.2% (5th in ECHL)
Players to Watch:
#17 F Everett Clark (JAX)
8G, 13A - 21 Pts, -27 Rating
Clark ranks second on the Icemen in scoring against Florida this season. The forward hasn't had a point in three games and a goal since Feb. 19, so look for him to break out against the 'Blades.
#15 F Mitchell Heard (FLA)
20G, 29A - 49 Pts, +23 Rating
Heard has been a pain in the Icemen's side all season long. With Quentin Shore and Michael Kirkpatrick not playing, look for Heard to lead the charge for Florida.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 9, 2018
- Mavericks Earn Point in OTL to Idaho - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel End Skid with Four Goal Second Period Explosion - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Outpaced by Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Thunder Unable to Hold Lead in 5-4 Defeat - Adirondack Thunder
- 'Blades Open Weekend with 5-2 Win at Jacksonville - Florida Everblades
- Driedger's Effort Can't Lift Beast - Brampton Beast
- 'Blades Top IceMen at Home - Jacksonville IceMen
- Wings Drop Divisional Tilt to Komets - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Sneak Past Stingrays, 3-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits End Streak with Victory in North Charleston - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Walleye Blank Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Comeback Falls Short Friday Night in Brampton - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Take Late Lead But Fall in OT to Wheeling, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Rumble Past Thunder, 5-4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Adirondack Signs Defenseman Adam Larkin - Adirondack Thunder
- Solar Bears Bring in Manny Gialedakis on ATO - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Cam Lanigan Inks ATO with Komets - Fort Wayne Komets
- ECHL Transactions - March 9 - ECHL
- Game Day Storylines vs Kansas City - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cory Ward and Matt Leitner return to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers vs. Royals Game Day Snap Shot, March 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Final Trip Across State Opens Weekend - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Cannata Recalled to AHL's San Antonio Rampage - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Look to Keep Streak Going in Utah - Allen Americans
- Nailers Sign Abt & Tirone, Receive Spinozzi from AHL - Wheeling Nailers
- Gameday - Adirondack (33-20-3-3) vs. Manchester (33-20-3-2) - Adirondack Thunder
- Rays Sign Leo Fitzgerald, Jakaitis Joins Hartford - South Carolina Stingrays
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 9 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day: Three-In-Three Begins in Brampton - Norfolk Admirals
- Swamp Rabbits Jump-Start Annual Heroes Night - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Worcester Railers Sign UMass Lowell Standout Tommy Panico - Worcester Railers HC
- Gameday Report: Mavericks at Steelheads - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Flip F DeVito to Florida for Future Considerations - Reading Royals
- Pond Called up to Providence, Doherty Returns - Atlanta Gladiators
- IceMen Battle 'Blades at Home Tonight - Jacksonville IceMen
- Royals Play Seventh Straight Road Game at Wheeling - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.