'Blades Top IceMen at Home
The Jacksonville Icemen's three-game home winning streak ended Friday night as the Eastern Conference-leading Florida Everblades won, 5-2. Jimmy Lodge and Dajon Mingo each scored tonight in the Icemen's loss.
It didn't take long for the physical play between these two teams to start tonight. Just six seconds into the first, Icemen captain Garet Hunt and Kyle Neuber dropped the gloves for a lengthy bout at center ice. Throughout the first, both teams would go back and forth, looking for the first goal. Florida nearly had it after the halfway mark in the frame, but Austin Lotz made a spectacular sprawling save to rob the 'Blades forward. However, Florida did find the back of the net with under three minutes remaining as Logan Roe went coast-to-coast, put the puck between his legs and then beat Lotz on his left side. With 14 seconds to play, a poor turnover for Jacksonville in the neutral zone led to another incredible goal for Florida as Matt Berry sent a backhand shot top shelf past Lotz for the 2-0 lead.
Florida increased their lead to three goals when Mitchell Heard connected on a slapper from the point on a five-on-three power play. The Icemen eventually found a spark later on in the period when Dajon Mingo fired a slapshot of his own past Callum Booth. Jimmy Lodge struck just 55 seconds later with an absolute laser of a wrist shot that found the top shelf of the net. With the arena full of excitement, the 'Blades found a way to grab another two-goal lead as Stephen MacAulay followed up on the rebound. The Icemen entered the third period trailing 4-2.
Jacksonville wouldn't be able to extend the home-winning streak to a record four games as John McCarron scored on the empty net late in the third period to seal the victory for Florida. Elgin Pearce's franchise-tying four-game goal streak would end as he was held off the scoresheet.
The Icemen finish off the homestand tomorrow night at 7:30 p.m. against the 'Blades.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 9, 2018
- Mavericks Earn Point in OTL to Idaho - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel End Skid with Four Goal Second Period Explosion - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Outpaced by Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Thunder Unable to Hold Lead in 5-4 Defeat - Adirondack Thunder
- 'Blades Open Weekend with 5-2 Win at Jacksonville - Florida Everblades
- Driedger's Effort Can't Lift Beast - Brampton Beast
- 'Blades Top IceMen at Home - Jacksonville IceMen
- Wings Drop Divisional Tilt to Komets - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Sneak Past Stingrays, 3-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits End Streak with Victory in North Charleston - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Walleye Blank Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Comeback Falls Short Friday Night in Brampton - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Take Late Lead But Fall in OT to Wheeling, 4-3 - Reading Royals
- Monarchs Rumble Past Thunder, 5-4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Adirondack Signs Defenseman Adam Larkin - Adirondack Thunder
- Solar Bears Bring in Manny Gialedakis on ATO - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Cam Lanigan Inks ATO with Komets - Fort Wayne Komets
- ECHL Transactions - March 9 - ECHL
- Game Day Storylines vs Kansas City - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cory Ward and Matt Leitner return to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers vs. Royals Game Day Snap Shot, March 9 - Wheeling Nailers
- Swamp Rabbits Final Trip Across State Opens Weekend - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Cannata Recalled to AHL's San Antonio Rampage - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Look to Keep Streak Going in Utah - Allen Americans
- Nailers Sign Abt & Tirone, Receive Spinozzi from AHL - Wheeling Nailers
- Gameday - Adirondack (33-20-3-3) vs. Manchester (33-20-3-2) - Adirondack Thunder
- Rays Sign Leo Fitzgerald, Jakaitis Joins Hartford - South Carolina Stingrays
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 9 - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Day: Three-In-Three Begins in Brampton - Norfolk Admirals
- Swamp Rabbits Jump-Start Annual Heroes Night - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Worcester Railers Sign UMass Lowell Standout Tommy Panico - Worcester Railers HC
- Gameday Report: Mavericks at Steelheads - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals Flip F DeVito to Florida for Future Considerations - Reading Royals
- Pond Called up to Providence, Doherty Returns - Atlanta Gladiators
- IceMen Battle 'Blades at Home Tonight - Jacksonville IceMen
- Royals Play Seventh Straight Road Game at Wheeling - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.