Home Field Edge Continues with Tourists Win
ASHEVILLE - The Asheville Tourists entered Thursday night with the best home record in the South Atlantic League since the All-Star Break. Asheville improved that record with a 6-3 series opening win over the Charleston RiverDogs; their third win in four games this homestand.
The Tourists jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning. Coco Montes laced a two-run double off the wall in centerfield for his 76th and 77th RBIs of the season. Will Golsan made it 3-0 in the next inning with a two-out RBI single that scored Cristopher Navarro.
After Charleston plated one in the top of the third, Willie MacIver pushed the lead back out to three runs with an RBI single into left. The score remained 4-1 until the RiverDogs scored a run in the sixth inning. Asheville's starting pitcher, Frederis Parra, departed following the sixth with a quality start in his pocket. Parra matched a season-high with six strikeouts.
Charleston inched a little closer in the top of the eighth with another run but Asheville once again had an answer. Grant Lavigne worked a lead-off walk in the bottom half of the eighth and scored all the way from first base on Daniel Montano's RBI double to left. Two batters later, Cade Harris ripped an RBI single into right to give the Tourists a three-run lead heading into the ninth.
PJ Poulin was called upon to finish off the RiverDogs and Poulin did just that. He allowed a few base-runners but struck out three Charleston hitters to close out the game. The final strikeout took only three pitches.
The win keeps the Tourists tied for first place and pushes the RiverDogs to three games back. These two teams will face off three more times in the series with Friday's contest scheduled for 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Home Field Edge Continues with Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Mountain Air Cools off Red-Hot RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Win on Pelletier Home Run in Ninth - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Early Runs Not Enough in 4-2 Loss to Lexington - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Open Series with 5-1 Victory over Grasshoppers - Augusta GreenJackets
- Adon Earns League-Leading 11th Win in WV - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Fall to Hickory on Thursday - Greenville Drive
- Sanders Homers But Power Fall in Series Opener, 6-3 - West Virginia Power
- Walkoff Homer Stuns 'Birds in Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Rally for Epic Win to Open up Series against Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Braves Announce 2020 Schedule - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 15 vs. Rome (Game 119) - Columbia Fireflies
- Sergio Romo to Enter GreenJackets Hall of Fame - Augusta GreenJackets
- Julio Rodriguez Promoted to High-A Modesto - West Virginia Power
- 2019 Fireflies Homestand Highlights: August 15-18 - Columbia Fireflies
- Crawdads Announce 2020 Schedule - Hickory Crawdads
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 15) - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Fireflies Release 2020 Season Schedule - Columbia Fireflies
- Shorebirds Release 2020 Schedule - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Announce 2020 Schedule - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Quiet Braves Bats in 7-3 Finale - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Pounce on Power Miscues - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Contreras Dominates, Holds Early Lead as Rainbows Sweep 'Flies - Charleston RiverDogs
- Important Series Goes Asheville's Way - Asheville Tourists
- Swing and a Miss - Columbia Pitchers Strike out 12 in Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Intimidators Shutout Grasshoppers in 10-0 Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.