Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 15 vs. Rome (Game 119)
Please note the following New York Mets minor league transactions:
- 3B Mark Vientos transferred to Columbia's Injured List
- INF Nick Conti transferred to Columbia from GCL Mets
Columbia Fireflies (23-29, 47-71) vs. Rome Braves (27-25, 64-58)
RHP Bryce Hutchinson (4-7, 3.57) vs. RHP Ricky DeVito (0-1, 4.91)
Thurs., August 15, 2019 - Segra Park (Columbia, SC) - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 119
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: There were nothing but zeros on the scoreboard on Tuesday at Joe Riley Park. That was, until the ninth inning. After eight and half scoreless frames, Charleston walked off against the Fireflies for a second straight night and won, 1-0. Colin Holderman (4.2 IP, 0 R, 4 K) and Jose Moreno (1.1 IP, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K) pitched very well. Willy Taveras had worked two scoreless IP before allowing the walk-off double to Eric Wagaman in the bottom of the ninth.
BUPKIS: This was also the deepest a game had gone scoreless that Columbia was playing in since May 7, 2018. That day, the Fireflies and BlueClaws went scoreless into the 10th, where Columbia ultimately fell, 5-1.
WHAT'S AT STAKE: Even despite the loss on Tuesday, the Fireflies are still only five games out of first but just 19 games remain. Columbia must win on Wednesday to avoid being swept by the RiverDogs.
TAKING A STEP FORWARD: Several Columbia hitters have made big improvements at the plate in the second half of the season. Take a look at the biggest in jumps in batting average from first half to second:
LARGEST BATTING AVERAGE INCREASES, 2019
1st Half 2nd Half
1. +.118, Hayden Senger .185 (40 GP) .303 (38 GP)
2. + .067, Jose Medina .185 (20 GP) .252 (31 GP)
3. + .059, Brian Sharp .180 (57 GP) .239 (46 GP)
4. + .058, Mark Vientos .240 (59 GP) .298 (44 GP)
Senger & Vientos have the 2 highest second-half batting averages on the team.
WHO'S HOT?: Over the last 10 days, Hayden Senger has the highest batting average on the team (.368 in 6 games).
NUMBER FIVE: The fifth former Firefly has reached the big leagues. On August 2, 2019, Fireflies pitcher Zac Grotz made his major league debut for the Seattle Mariners in Houston. The 26-year-old right-hander logged two innings and allowed just one run, pitching in the seventh and eighth innings of a 10-2 Mariners loss. Grotz has since made two other appearances on the mound for Seattle (8/6 and 8/13). The Californian has surrendered three runs in five innings of work and has punched out five. Grotz had his contract with the York Revolution (Independent Atlantic League) purchased by the Mets in June of 2018. He went on to start 13 games for Columbia last season and posted a 3-7 record and 4.61 ERA. The Mariners signed Grotz before the start of the 2019 season and assigned him to their double-A affiliate in Arkansas. There, Grotz impressed with a 4-4 record and 2.51 ERA in 26 outings.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Home Field Edge Continues with Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Mountain Air Cools off Red-Hot RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Win on Pelletier Home Run in Ninth - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Early Runs Not Enough in 4-2 Loss to Lexington - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Open Series with 5-1 Victory over Grasshoppers - Augusta GreenJackets
- Adon Earns League-Leading 11th Win in WV - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Fall to Hickory on Thursday - Greenville Drive
- Sanders Homers But Power Fall in Series Opener, 6-3 - Charleston Dirty Birds
- Walkoff Homer Stuns 'Birds in Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Rally for Epic Win to Open up Series against Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Braves Announce 2020 Schedule - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 15 vs. Rome (Game 119) - Columbia Fireflies
- Sergio Romo to Enter GreenJackets Hall of Fame - Augusta GreenJackets
- Julio Rodriguez Promoted to High-A Modesto - Charleston Dirty Birds
- 2019 Fireflies Homestand Highlights: August 15-18 - Columbia Fireflies
- Crawdads Announce 2020 Schedule - Hickory Crawdads
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 15) - Charleston Dirty Birds
- Columbia Fireflies Release 2020 Season Schedule - Columbia Fireflies
- Shorebirds Release 2020 Schedule - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Announce 2020 Schedule - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Quiet Braves Bats in 7-3 Finale - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Pounce on Power Miscues - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Contreras Dominates, Holds Early Lead as Rainbows Sweep 'Flies - Charleston RiverDogs
- Important Series Goes Asheville's Way - Asheville Tourists
- Swing and a Miss - Columbia Pitchers Strike out 12 in Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Intimidators Shutout Grasshoppers in 10-0 Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.