Drive Fall to Hickory on Thursday
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greenville Drive dropped the series opener to the Hickory Crawdads, 5-1, on Thursday night at Fluor Field.
Hickory got on the board first, scoring one in the second and adding two in the third. A solo home run by Melvin Novoa in the second made it a 1-0 game. An RBI double by Tyreque Reed and a sac fly by Melvin Novoa and scored two more in the third, giving the Crawdads a 3-0 advantage.
The Crawdads tacked on one in the fourth and another in the eighth. Reed led off the fourth with a single and later stole second, before a Ryan Anderson single scored him to make it a 4-0 game. In the eighth, a solo home run by Miguel Aparicio extended the lead to 5-0.
The Drive finally broke through in the ninth. Everlouis Lozada opened the frame with a double to right and Tyler Esplin followed with a walk to put two on with no outs. After a strikeout and forceout, Alan Marrero drew a two-out walk to load the bases. Korby Batesole then scored Lozada with a bunt single up the third base line to make it a 5-1 game. The Drive rally would end there, as Tai Tiedemann got a strikeout to end it.
Hickory starter Ronny Henriquez (4-6) earned the win, throwing 6.0 scoreless innings and allowing two hits with seven strikeouts against two walks. Drive starter Chase Shugart (6-4) was tagged for the loss, allowing four runs (three earned) on eight hits in 5.0 innings pitched with four strikeouts against one walk. Tiedemann earned his first save of the season, working the final 3.0 innings and allowing one run on three hits with five strikeouts against two walks.
Batesole led the Drive on a tough offensive night, going 2-for-4 with a pair of singles and an RBI. Marrero reached base three times with two walks and a single. Lozada added a double, while Cole Brannen contributed a single.
Alex Demchak worked 3.0 innings in relief, allowing a lone run on two hits with three strikeouts against one walk.
The series continues on Friday with first pitch at 7:05 PM. Drive right-hander Brayan Bello will face off against Hickory right-hander Cole Winn.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Home Field Edge Continues with Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Mountain Air Cools off Red-Hot RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Win on Pelletier Home Run in Ninth - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Early Runs Not Enough in 4-2 Loss to Lexington - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Open Series with 5-1 Victory over Grasshoppers - Augusta GreenJackets
- Adon Earns League-Leading 11th Win in WV - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Fall to Hickory on Thursday - Greenville Drive
- Sanders Homers But Power Fall in Series Opener, 6-3 - West Virginia Power
- Walkoff Homer Stuns 'Birds in Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Rally for Epic Win to Open up Series against Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Braves Announce 2020 Schedule - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 15 vs. Rome (Game 119) - Columbia Fireflies
- Sergio Romo to Enter GreenJackets Hall of Fame - Augusta GreenJackets
- Julio Rodriguez Promoted to High-A Modesto - West Virginia Power
- 2019 Fireflies Homestand Highlights: August 15-18 - Columbia Fireflies
- Crawdads Announce 2020 Schedule - Hickory Crawdads
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 15) - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Fireflies Release 2020 Season Schedule - Columbia Fireflies
- Shorebirds Release 2020 Schedule - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Announce 2020 Schedule - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Quiet Braves Bats in 7-3 Finale - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Pounce on Power Miscues - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Contreras Dominates, Holds Early Lead as Rainbows Sweep 'Flies - Charleston RiverDogs
- Important Series Goes Asheville's Way - Asheville Tourists
- Swing and a Miss - Columbia Pitchers Strike out 12 in Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Intimidators Shutout Grasshoppers in 10-0 Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Drive Stories
- West End Events at Fluor Field Unveils Fresh Look
- Step up to the Plate at Fluor Field on October 3
- Waldrop Inc. Announced as the Official HVAC & Plumbing Provider of the Greenville Drive
- Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering Event at the Drive Goes Virtual
- Drive Already Looking Forward to Next Year, Debut New Ticket Plan Options