Adon Earns League-Leading 11th Win in WV
CHARLESTON, WV - Joan Adon pushed four, one-run innings of relief as the Suns charged ahead behind three runs in the eighth to win 6-3 versus the West Virginia Power at Appalachian Power Park Thursday night.
Adon (W, 11-3) earned his league-leading 11th win after allowing a solo shot from Matt Sanders in the sixth before locking down and allowing just two hits in the next three innings. The Dominican-native finished the night with six strikeouts in his first relief outing of the season.
The bats charged in front of West Virginia (62-61, 25-27) in a wonky eighth inning. Armond Upshaw was hit by a pitch to start off the inning before stealing second. Jackson Cluff drove him home with a base knock up the gut to give Hagerstown a 4-3 lead.
After that, Justin Connell hit a single to move Cluff to third and was caught in an extended run down, that eventually allowed Cluff to score and Connell to move all the way to third. Sal Biasi (L, 6-4) then launched a wild pitch to plate Connell and push Hagerstown's lead to 6-3.
Hagerstown (55-68, 25-28) started early too, scoring a pair in the first. Cluff drew a lead-off walk before scoring on a Jacob Rhinesmith groundout that resulted in Rhinesmith's 60th RBI of the season. Rhinesmith would eventually score when Nic Perkins laced a double to center to put the Suns in front 2-0.
Jackson Rutledge mowed his way through the first two innings of the game, striking out four batters, but allowed two runs before getting pulled in the fourth. He ended the night with six strikeouts of his own before he gave the ball to Matt Cronin who worked through a 1-2-3 fifth frame.
These two teams collide again tomorrow at 7:05 p.m. at Appalachian Power Park. LHP Jackson Stoeckinger (1-2, 3.60 ERA) gets the ball for Hagerstown and RHP Josias De Los Santos (4-6, 4.67 ERA) toes the rubber for the Power.
The Suns return home for a six-game homestand August 20. During the stretch they'll face the Greenville Drive and the Delmarva Shorebirds and will host the final Fireworks night of the season Friday, August 23. The following day, Hagerstown will give away a Mike Mussina bobblehead to the first 1,000 fans in the gates. Gates open at 5:00 p.m. The homestand will also feature Thirsty Thursday and Sunday Funday.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Home Field Edge Continues with Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Mountain Air Cools off Red-Hot RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Win on Pelletier Home Run in Ninth - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Early Runs Not Enough in 4-2 Loss to Lexington - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Open Series with 5-1 Victory over Grasshoppers - Augusta GreenJackets
- Adon Earns League-Leading 11th Win in WV - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Fall to Hickory on Thursday - Greenville Drive
- Sanders Homers But Power Fall in Series Opener, 6-3 - West Virginia Power
- Walkoff Homer Stuns 'Birds in Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Rally for Epic Win to Open up Series against Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Braves Announce 2020 Schedule - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 15 vs. Rome (Game 119) - Columbia Fireflies
- Sergio Romo to Enter GreenJackets Hall of Fame - Augusta GreenJackets
- Julio Rodriguez Promoted to High-A Modesto - West Virginia Power
- 2019 Fireflies Homestand Highlights: August 15-18 - Columbia Fireflies
- Crawdads Announce 2020 Schedule - Hickory Crawdads
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 15) - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Fireflies Release 2020 Season Schedule - Columbia Fireflies
- Shorebirds Release 2020 Schedule - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Announce 2020 Schedule - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Quiet Braves Bats in 7-3 Finale - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Pounce on Power Miscues - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Contreras Dominates, Holds Early Lead as Rainbows Sweep 'Flies - Charleston RiverDogs
- Important Series Goes Asheville's Way - Asheville Tourists
- Swing and a Miss - Columbia Pitchers Strike out 12 in Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Intimidators Shutout Grasshoppers in 10-0 Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.