Early Runs Not Enough in 4-2 Loss to Lexington
KANNAPOLIS, N.C. - In the first game of a four-game weekend set, the Kannapolis Intimidators fell by a score of 4-2 to the Lexington Legends Thursday night at Intimidators Stadium supported by Atrium Health.
Kannapolis struck early against RHP Charlie Neuweiler (W, 6-9), via a Tyler Osik double, scoring Ian Dawkins andLenyn Sosa, giving the Intimidators an early 2-0 lead over the Legends.
RHP Jason Bilous (L, 5-8) worked the first three innings for the Intimidators, giving up four hits, three earned runs, and striking out two Lexington batters.
The Legends (59-63, 22-31) found the scoreboard in the top of the third, backed by a Rudy Martin solo home run to right field off of Bilous. Four batters later, after a string of a double, a walk, and a hit-by-pitch, Chris Hudgins brought in John Rave off a sacrifice fly. Following Hudgins' sac fly was Nathan Eaton, who scored Jeison Guzman on a line-drive single to center field, giving the Legends a 3-2 lead.
Bilous was relieved by RHP J.B. Olson, who dealt two innings of shutout baseball. Following Olson was former UNC product, RHP Hansen Butler. Butler threw two innings, striking out four and walking none in the sixth and seventh frames.
In the top of the eighth, the Legends strung more offense together, making the score 4-2 via a Reed Rohlmansacrifice fly off RHP Lane Ramsey that brought in Eaton.
Kannapolis (54-67, 26-27) was held scoreless after their first two runs, striking out a total of 12 times against Lexington pitchers Neuweiler, Andres Nunez (H, 5), and Brandon Marklund (S, 5).
The Intimidators will look to rebound Friday night against Lexington in the second game of the four-game tilt. 2019 South Atlantic League All-Star RHP Johan Dominguez (4-4, 2.93 ERA) will take the mound for Kannapolis against Lexington's RHP Carlos Hernandez (1-2, 7.62 ERA).
Fans can purchase tickets for the second game of the series with the Legends, or any of the seven remaining home games at intimidatorsbaseball.com or by stopping by the F&M Bank Box Office located at Intimidators Stadium supported by Atrium Health.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Home Field Edge Continues with Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Mountain Air Cools off Red-Hot RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Win on Pelletier Home Run in Ninth - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Early Runs Not Enough in 4-2 Loss to Lexington - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Open Series with 5-1 Victory over Grasshoppers - Augusta GreenJackets
- Adon Earns League-Leading 11th Win in WV - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Fall to Hickory on Thursday - Greenville Drive
- Sanders Homers But Power Fall in Series Opener, 6-3 - Charleston Dirty Birds
- Walkoff Homer Stuns 'Birds in Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Rally for Epic Win to Open up Series against Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Braves Announce 2020 Schedule - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 15 vs. Rome (Game 119) - Columbia Fireflies
- Sergio Romo to Enter GreenJackets Hall of Fame - Augusta GreenJackets
- Julio Rodriguez Promoted to High-A Modesto - Charleston Dirty Birds
- 2019 Fireflies Homestand Highlights: August 15-18 - Columbia Fireflies
- Crawdads Announce 2020 Schedule - Hickory Crawdads
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 15) - Charleston Dirty Birds
- Columbia Fireflies Release 2020 Season Schedule - Columbia Fireflies
- Shorebirds Release 2020 Schedule - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Announce 2020 Schedule - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Quiet Braves Bats in 7-3 Finale - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Pounce on Power Miscues - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Contreras Dominates, Holds Early Lead as Rainbows Sweep 'Flies - Charleston RiverDogs
- Important Series Goes Asheville's Way - Asheville Tourists
- Swing and a Miss - Columbia Pitchers Strike out 12 in Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Intimidators Shutout Grasshoppers in 10-0 Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Stories
- Temerity Baseball Has Acquired the Greensboro Grasshoppers, the High-A Affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates
- Kannapolis Announces New Development Project Adjacent to Atrium Health Ballpark
- Trees of Hope Lights up Tonight
- Cannon Baller Chronicle: Season in Review
- Kannapolis Tops Fayetteville in Final Home Game of the Season