Important Series Goes Asheville's Way
ASHEVILLE- The Asheville Tourists won Wednesday's rubber-match against the Rome Braves 7-3 to claim another series at McCormick Field. The victory keeps the Tourists in a tie for first place in the SAL Southern division. Asheville has dropped only one series since June 27th.
The scoring began when Max George raced around the bases from first on a Braves throwing error. George finished the game with two hits and two walks. Niko Decolati made it 2-0 in the third with a solo Home Run to straight-away centerfield.
The Braves managed to plate a pair of runs in the top of the fourth off Asheville's starting pitcher Ryan Feltner. Those two runs were the only damage Feltner allowed. The Rockies fourth round pick used his fastball and slider to keep Rome's hitter off balance all game. Feltner finished with five innings and five strikeouts to notch his seventh win of the season.
Cade Harris immediately put the Tourists back on top with a two-run Home Run in the bottom of the fourth. Cristopher Navarro made it 5-2 with a sacrifice fly in the sixth. Asheville then added two more on a trio of seventh inning doubles by Kyle Datres, Coco Montes, and John Cresto. Datres, the reigning SAL Player of the Week, finished the game 3-for-3 with two walks and two stolen bases.
Reagan Todd, Jacob Bosiokovic, and Will Tribucher combined to limit the Braves to just one unearned run over the final four frames. Asheville's three relief pitchers, much like Feltner, were rarely in trouble.
The homestand continues on Thursday night with the Charleston RiverDogs coming into town to open a four-game series. Charleston has won 10 of 12 and currently sit two games back of Asheville.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Home Field Edge Continues with Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Mountain Air Cools off Red-Hot RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Win on Pelletier Home Run in Ninth - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Early Runs Not Enough in 4-2 Loss to Lexington - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Open Series with 5-1 Victory over Grasshoppers - Augusta GreenJackets
- Adon Earns League-Leading 11th Win in WV - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Fall to Hickory on Thursday - Greenville Drive
- Sanders Homers But Power Fall in Series Opener, 6-3 - Charleston Dirty Birds
- Walkoff Homer Stuns 'Birds in Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Rally for Epic Win to Open up Series against Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Braves Announce 2020 Schedule - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 15 vs. Rome (Game 119) - Columbia Fireflies
- Sergio Romo to Enter GreenJackets Hall of Fame - Augusta GreenJackets
- Julio Rodriguez Promoted to High-A Modesto - Charleston Dirty Birds
- 2019 Fireflies Homestand Highlights: August 15-18 - Columbia Fireflies
- Crawdads Announce 2020 Schedule - Hickory Crawdads
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 15) - Charleston Dirty Birds
- Columbia Fireflies Release 2020 Season Schedule - Columbia Fireflies
- Shorebirds Release 2020 Schedule - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Announce 2020 Schedule - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Quiet Braves Bats in 7-3 Finale - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Pounce on Power Miscues - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Contreras Dominates, Holds Early Lead as Rainbows Sweep 'Flies - Charleston RiverDogs
- Important Series Goes Asheville's Way - Asheville Tourists
- Swing and a Miss - Columbia Pitchers Strike out 12 in Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Intimidators Shutout Grasshoppers in 10-0 Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.