BlueClaws Win on Pelletier Home Run in Ninth
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Ben Pelletier hit a walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth inning and the BlueClaws topped Delmarva 3-2 on Thursday night at FirstEnergy Park.
Pelletier's home run came with two outs and also brought in Luis Garcia, who had walked on a 3-2 pitch with two outs to extend the game. His home run, his 10th of the year, came on the first pitch from Felix Bautista (1-2) and was Lakewood's first walk-off home run since one by Simon Muzziotti last year.
The BlueClaws (23-28/52-69) have now won three of the last four games and are 5-2 against Delmara (33-19/81-40) in the second half.
Albertus Barber (3-0) threw a scoreless top of the ninth and was the winning pitcher.
Lakewood opened the scoring in the third inning. With runners at first and second, Jonathan Guzman hit a groundball in the hole at short. Adam Hall had only one play, at third, but an errant throw allowed Juan Aparicio to score and put the BlueClaws up 1-0.
Meanwhile, Lakewood starter Dominic Pipkin cruised through five scoreless innings. The 19 year old gave up one hit while striking out four and walking one. He matched his longest outing of the season.
Delmarva took the lead with two runs off Jhordany Mezquita in the sixth. With one out, Johnny Rizer doubled in Alexis Torres to tie the game. Adam Hall then singled home Rizer to give Delmarva the lead.
Mezquita gave up two runs on four hits in three innings of relief.
Pelletier's home run also extended his hitting streak to seven games.
The teams continue their series on Friday night at 7:05 pm. RHP Victor Santos (5-8) starts for the BlueClaws opposite RHP Grayson Rodriguez (9-3).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Home Field Edge Continues with Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Mountain Air Cools off Red-Hot RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Win on Pelletier Home Run in Ninth - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Early Runs Not Enough in 4-2 Loss to Lexington - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Open Series with 5-1 Victory over Grasshoppers - Augusta GreenJackets
- Adon Earns League-Leading 11th Win in WV - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Fall to Hickory on Thursday - Greenville Drive
- Sanders Homers But Power Fall in Series Opener, 6-3 - West Virginia Power
- Walkoff Homer Stuns 'Birds in Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Rally for Epic Win to Open up Series against Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Braves Announce 2020 Schedule - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 15 vs. Rome (Game 119) - Columbia Fireflies
- Sergio Romo to Enter GreenJackets Hall of Fame - Augusta GreenJackets
- Julio Rodriguez Promoted to High-A Modesto - West Virginia Power
- 2019 Fireflies Homestand Highlights: August 15-18 - Columbia Fireflies
- Crawdads Announce 2020 Schedule - Hickory Crawdads
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 15) - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Fireflies Release 2020 Season Schedule - Columbia Fireflies
- Shorebirds Release 2020 Schedule - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Announce 2020 Schedule - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Quiet Braves Bats in 7-3 Finale - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Pounce on Power Miscues - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Contreras Dominates, Holds Early Lead as Rainbows Sweep 'Flies - Charleston RiverDogs
- Important Series Goes Asheville's Way - Asheville Tourists
- Swing and a Miss - Columbia Pitchers Strike out 12 in Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Intimidators Shutout Grasshoppers in 10-0 Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.