Julio Rodriguez Promoted to High-A Modesto
CHARLESTON, W.Va. - Outfielder Julio Rodriguez has been promoted to the High-A Modesto Nuts, the Seattle Mariners announced Thursday afternoon. Rodriguez leaves the South Atlantic League after spending the entire season with the West Virginia Power, averaging .293 with 10 homers and 50 RBI in 67 games.
Julio started off incredibly hot with West Virginia, reaching base safely in his first seven games and notching a six-game hitting streak. However, a hairline fracture in his wrist that he suffered after getting hit by a pitch in mid-April derailed the prospect's progress for two months, as he did not return to the team until June 10.
His resurgence was a bit subdued at first, as the outfielder had just one hit in his first 10 at-bats, but he roared back strong with an 8-for-15 series against the Hagerstown Suns that included his first home run of the year and five RBI to end the first half.
The Mariners' second-best prospect per MLB.com blistered through the second half, notching 18 multi-hit games in 51 total affairs to go along with a .275 average, nine homers and 41 RBI. He put together his second career four-hit game during the Power's final road trip against Lakewood August 11, as well as blasted the first grand slam of his life and collected a career-best six RBI two days later in Delmarva. Julio leaves the Power having hit safely in 14 of his last 17 games, with eight of those being multi-hit contests. During that stretch, he boasted a .362 average, the third-highest mark in the SAL, with four homers and 18 RBI.
Overall, Julio leaves West Virginia with the third-highest average among all players, as well as the fourth-most home runs and third-most RBI. He also notched 25 multi-hit games, third-most on the team, as well as 13 multi-RBI games, tops on the squad.
West Virginia begins a four-game homestand tonight against the Hagerstown Suns, with first pitch set for 7:05 p.m. on our final Rock 105 Thirsty Thursday of the year. The highlight of the homestand comes on Saturday, August 17, as the first 1,000 fans can get a Jarred Kelenic prospect t-shirt giveaway, courtesy of Marshall Orthopaedics. West Virginia will also host a special postgame fireworks show following the final out Saturday, presented by Constellium. For tickets and more information, call the Power at 304-344-2287 or visit www.wvpower.com.
Images from this story
Outfielder Julio Rodriguez with the West Virginia Power
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Home Field Edge Continues with Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Mountain Air Cools off Red-Hot RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Win on Pelletier Home Run in Ninth - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Early Runs Not Enough in 4-2 Loss to Lexington - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Open Series with 5-1 Victory over Grasshoppers - Augusta GreenJackets
- Adon Earns League-Leading 11th Win in WV - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Fall to Hickory on Thursday - Greenville Drive
- Sanders Homers But Power Fall in Series Opener, 6-3 - West Virginia Power
- Walkoff Homer Stuns 'Birds in Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Rally for Epic Win to Open up Series against Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Braves Announce 2020 Schedule - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 15 vs. Rome (Game 119) - Columbia Fireflies
- Sergio Romo to Enter GreenJackets Hall of Fame - Augusta GreenJackets
- Julio Rodriguez Promoted to High-A Modesto - West Virginia Power
- 2019 Fireflies Homestand Highlights: August 15-18 - Columbia Fireflies
- Crawdads Announce 2020 Schedule - Hickory Crawdads
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 15) - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Fireflies Release 2020 Season Schedule - Columbia Fireflies
- Shorebirds Release 2020 Schedule - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Announce 2020 Schedule - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Quiet Braves Bats in 7-3 Finale - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Pounce on Power Miscues - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Contreras Dominates, Holds Early Lead as Rainbows Sweep 'Flies - Charleston RiverDogs
- Important Series Goes Asheville's Way - Asheville Tourists
- Swing and a Miss - Columbia Pitchers Strike out 12 in Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Intimidators Shutout Grasshoppers in 10-0 Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent West Virginia Power Stories
- Cederlind Makes MLB Debut Tuesday with Pirates
- Mathisen Makes MLB Debut Monday Night with Diamondbacks
- Hayes, Topa Make MLB Debuts Tuesday Night
- Power Streaming UFC 252 Pay-Per-View August 15
- Power to Host Negro Leagues' Centennial Celebration Exhibit August 7