Jackets Open Series with 5-1 Victory over Grasshoppers
GREENSBORO, NC: The Augusta GreenJackets (66-55, 30-23) defeated the Greensboro Grasshoppers (71-50, 267-25) in the series opener on Thursday night by a final score of 5-1. The Jackets will stay tied atop the 2nd half standings after the Asheville Tourists collected a 6-3 win over the Charleston RiverDogs.
The Grasshoppers loaded the bases in the 3rd inning with only one out. Kai-Wei Teng allowed just one-run, but it was unearned as Grant Koch scored on a passed ball to make it 1-0 Grasshoppers. It was Teng's first win in the San Francisco Giants organization since being traded from the Minnesota Twins on July 31st.
The GreenJackets offense went right to work for their starting pitcher in the 4th inning. After Logan Wyatt walked, Franklin Labour doubled to score Wyatt and tie the game at one. Then, Sean Roby ripped a double past the 3rd base bag, and it scored Labour to give the Jackets their first lead of the night at 2-1. Later in the inning, with Sean Roby on 3rd base, Jose Layer came up with an infield hit to give the Jackets a 3-1 lead.
In the 6th inning, it was Tyler Fitzgerald coming up with a big hit. His RBI-single scored Andres Angulo from 3rd base, and the Jackets extended the lead to 4-1. In the 7th inning, it was Roby adding another RBI to his August 15th resume. His single scored Wyatt, and the GreenJackets led at 5-1.
Preston White and Ryan Walker each delivered two-innings of scoreless baseball out of the Jackets bullpen, and Augusta hung on for the 5-1 win.
Player of the Game: Sean Roby, 2-5, R, 2 RBI
Roby came into the game without a hit in his first three-games as a GreenJacket, but he came up big on Thursday. He drove in two-runs and helped the Jackets win the series opener.
Tomorrow's Game: 7:00 PM vs Greensboro Grasshoppers (Pittsburgh Pirates), First National Bank Field, Greensboro, North Carolina
Pitching Matchup: (GBO) RHP Steven Jennings (5-11, 5.24 ERA) vs (AUG) LHP Seth Corry (9-2, 1.64 ERA)
It's been hard to miss what Seth Corry has done in the 2nd half of the season. The southpaw has been lights out and has an ERA of 0.65 in the 2nd half of the season. His ERA of 1.64 in 2019 is also the best in the South Atlantic League. Corry has been a strikeout machine, and he leads the league with 148. In his last start at Rome on August 10th, he went five-innings and finished with a career high 12 strikeouts. He was named the Uncle Ray's Potato Chips Player of the Month in the SAL for the month of July. He also was named SAL Pitcher of the Week twice in the 2nd half of the year. Corry is listed as the #9 overall prospect in the San Francisco Giants organization. He was a 3rd round pick in 2017.
Steven Jennings toes-the-rubber for Greensboro in the 2nd game of the series on Friday night. Jennings has logged 110-innings this year. He has 94 strikeouts to only 37 walks. It will be the 3rd time Jennings has faced the GreenJackets this year. In both outings at SRP Park he has received losses. On April 15th he tossed 4.1 innings and allowed five-runs. In his 2nd start against the Jackets on July 18th, he went four-innings and he allowed two runs. Jennings was a 2nd round pick in 2017 by the Pittsburgh Pirates out of DeKalb County High School in Smithville, Tennessee.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Home Field Edge Continues with Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Mountain Air Cools off Red-Hot RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Win on Pelletier Home Run in Ninth - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Early Runs Not Enough in 4-2 Loss to Lexington - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Open Series with 5-1 Victory over Grasshoppers - Augusta GreenJackets
- Adon Earns League-Leading 11th Win in WV - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Fall to Hickory on Thursday - Greenville Drive
- Sanders Homers But Power Fall in Series Opener, 6-3 - West Virginia Power
- Walkoff Homer Stuns 'Birds in Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Rally for Epic Win to Open up Series against Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Braves Announce 2020 Schedule - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 15 vs. Rome (Game 119) - Columbia Fireflies
- Sergio Romo to Enter GreenJackets Hall of Fame - Augusta GreenJackets
- Julio Rodriguez Promoted to High-A Modesto - West Virginia Power
- 2019 Fireflies Homestand Highlights: August 15-18 - Columbia Fireflies
- Crawdads Announce 2020 Schedule - Hickory Crawdads
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 15) - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Fireflies Release 2020 Season Schedule - Columbia Fireflies
- Shorebirds Release 2020 Schedule - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Announce 2020 Schedule - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Quiet Braves Bats in 7-3 Finale - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Pounce on Power Miscues - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Contreras Dominates, Holds Early Lead as Rainbows Sweep 'Flies - Charleston RiverDogs
- Important Series Goes Asheville's Way - Asheville Tourists
- Swing and a Miss - Columbia Pitchers Strike out 12 in Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Intimidators Shutout Grasshoppers in 10-0 Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.