Tourists Quiet Braves Bats in 7-3 Finale
ASHEVILLE, NC - After scoring 19 runs the previous two nights the Rome offense slowed down on Wednesday evening in the series finale against Asheville, dropping the rubber game 7-3 to the Tourists at McCormick Field.
The loss puts Rome 3 games out of 1st place in the Southern Division with 18 games remaining in the regular season.
Asheville never trailed in the finale, scoring single runs in the 2nd and 3rd innings against Rome starter RHP William Woods. The Braves put together a rally in the 4th inning to tie the game at 2-2 thanks to hits from the middle of their order. Braden Shewmake led off with a single up the middle. He scored on an RBI double from Shea Langeliers into the left center field gap. Bryce Ball then singled sharply into left, pushing Langeliers to third base. Michael Harris followed with an RBI groundout to bring in the tying run but the Braves would strand the go-ahead run in scoring position.
The Tourists took the lead back immediately on a two run homer by Cade Harris off Rome reliever RHP Jose Montilla in the Bottom of the 4th and would hold the advantage the rest of the evening. Asheville added three additional runs to go ahead 7-2 in the 7th inning. Rome would manage a final run in the 8th after a throwing error, but trailing 7-3 would never bring the tying run to the plate in the late innings.
Ball finished his night 3-4 and had eight total hits in his debut series with Rome. Langeliers was 1-4 with a double and an RBI. Shewmake was 1-4 with a walk. Jeremy Fernandez was 1-4 with a stolen base.
Woods threw 3 innings and received a no-decision. He allowed two runs, one earned, on four hits. He struck out five and walked two.
Rome continues its road trip with a four game series in Columbia against the Fireflies. Game 1 from Segra Park is scheduled for 7:05 pm Thursday evening. Rome is expected to start RHP Ryan Shetter (3-2, 2.70).
Rome Braves (26-26, 56-65) 3 R 8 H 1 E
Asheville Tourists (29-23, 58-64) 7 R 12 H 2 E
W: Ryan Feltner (7-9)
L: Jose Montilla (3-8)
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Home Field Edge Continues with Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Mountain Air Cools off Red-Hot RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Win on Pelletier Home Run in Ninth - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Early Runs Not Enough in 4-2 Loss to Lexington - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Open Series with 5-1 Victory over Grasshoppers - Augusta GreenJackets
- Adon Earns League-Leading 11th Win in WV - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Fall to Hickory on Thursday - Greenville Drive
- Sanders Homers But Power Fall in Series Opener, 6-3 - Charleston Dirty Birds
- Walkoff Homer Stuns 'Birds in Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Rally for Epic Win to Open up Series against Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Braves Announce 2020 Schedule - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 15 vs. Rome (Game 119) - Columbia Fireflies
- Sergio Romo to Enter GreenJackets Hall of Fame - Augusta GreenJackets
- Julio Rodriguez Promoted to High-A Modesto - Charleston Dirty Birds
- 2019 Fireflies Homestand Highlights: August 15-18 - Columbia Fireflies
- Crawdads Announce 2020 Schedule - Hickory Crawdads
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 15) - Charleston Dirty Birds
- Columbia Fireflies Release 2020 Season Schedule - Columbia Fireflies
- Shorebirds Release 2020 Schedule - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Announce 2020 Schedule - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Quiet Braves Bats in 7-3 Finale - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Pounce on Power Miscues - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Contreras Dominates, Holds Early Lead as Rainbows Sweep 'Flies - Charleston RiverDogs
- Important Series Goes Asheville's Way - Asheville Tourists
- Swing and a Miss - Columbia Pitchers Strike out 12 in Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Intimidators Shutout Grasshoppers in 10-0 Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rome Braves Stories
- Atlanta Braves Enter into Agreement to Have Rome Braves Become Part of Diamond Baseball Holdings (DBH)
- Rome Braves, Hickory Crawdads Cancel Final Game of Season
- Tonight's Game, Fireworks Cancelled
- Rome Sends Higginbotham, Woods to Double-A, Adds Ramirez
- Crawdads Pinch Braves in Final Friday Game