Intimidators Shutout Grasshoppers in 10-0 Victory
KANNAPOLIS, N.C. - The Kannapolis Intimidators (26-26, 54-66) used strong pitching and a huge eighth inning against the Greensboro Grasshoppers (27-24, 71-49) on Wednesday night to win 10-0 and take the series at Intimidators Stadium supported by Atrium Health.
After stealing second base and advancing to third on a groundout, Ian Dawkins was driven in by Alex Destino to get the Intimidators on the board in the bottom of the first.
The teenager, Lenyn Sosa, hit a towering double down the right field line in the bottom of the third and scored Dawkins to take the 2-0 lead.
Kannapolis continued to slowly add to their lead. In the bottom of the fourth, Corey Zangari was standing on second base, but a wild pitch and heads up baserunning allowed him to come all the way around to score and make things 3-0.
Meanwhile on the mound, Davis Martin (W, 7-8) was dealing. In his five innings on the mound, he gave up just two hits and zero runs, while striking out five and walking three. Wilber Perez came in for relief and continued to shut things down. He tossed three hitless innings and struck out five while walking two.
The bottom of the eighth inning is really when the Kannapolis offense made its mark on the game. The first run of the inning came when Romy Gonzalez scored on a wild pitch to make things 4-0. Tyler Osik then also scored on a wild pitch not long after. After a Michael Hickman double, Cam Simmons drove Zangari in with a sac fly to bring the score to 6-0. It didn't stop there, Dawkins singled to drive in Hickman. Gonzalez was then hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to bring Dawkins in to score. Osik finally capped the inning off with a double that scored Sosa and Destino to extend the lead to 10-0. All in all, the Intimidators had five hits, three walks, and a hit batter in the inning.
Justin O'Conner came in to close things out in the ninth and went three-up and three-down to make the 10-0 score final and capture the series win.
Kannapolis will begin a four-game home series with the Lexington Legends on Thursday night at 7:00 p.m. The starters for both sides are TBD.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Home Field Edge Continues with Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Mountain Air Cools off Red-Hot RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Win on Pelletier Home Run in Ninth - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Early Runs Not Enough in 4-2 Loss to Lexington - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Open Series with 5-1 Victory over Grasshoppers - Augusta GreenJackets
- Adon Earns League-Leading 11th Win in WV - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Fall to Hickory on Thursday - Greenville Drive
- Sanders Homers But Power Fall in Series Opener, 6-3 - Charleston Dirty Birds
- Walkoff Homer Stuns 'Birds in Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Rally for Epic Win to Open up Series against Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Braves Announce 2020 Schedule - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 15 vs. Rome (Game 119) - Columbia Fireflies
- Sergio Romo to Enter GreenJackets Hall of Fame - Augusta GreenJackets
- Julio Rodriguez Promoted to High-A Modesto - Charleston Dirty Birds
- 2019 Fireflies Homestand Highlights: August 15-18 - Columbia Fireflies
- Crawdads Announce 2020 Schedule - Hickory Crawdads
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 15) - Charleston Dirty Birds
- Columbia Fireflies Release 2020 Season Schedule - Columbia Fireflies
- Shorebirds Release 2020 Schedule - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Announce 2020 Schedule - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Quiet Braves Bats in 7-3 Finale - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Pounce on Power Miscues - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Contreras Dominates, Holds Early Lead as Rainbows Sweep 'Flies - Charleston RiverDogs
- Important Series Goes Asheville's Way - Asheville Tourists
- Swing and a Miss - Columbia Pitchers Strike out 12 in Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Intimidators Shutout Grasshoppers in 10-0 Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Stories
- Cannon Baller Chronicle: Season in Review
- Kannapolis Tops Fayetteville in Final Home Game of the Season
- Kannapolis on Wrong End of Comeback; Drop to Woodpeckers 9-8 Saturday
- Gladney's Big Night at Plate Pushes Kannapolis over Woodpeckers
- Krogman's Late-Inning Homer Pushes Ballers over Woodpeckers