Swing and a Miss - Columbia Pitchers Strike out 12 in Finale
CHARLESTON, SC - Wednesday was the night of the strikeout at Joe Riley Park. Columbia's hurlers combined for 12 on the night and in total, the RiverDogs and Fireflies hitters punched out 12 times. Columbia dropped the finale, though, 3-1.
The Fireflies managed just two hit on Wednesday. Charleston's (27-25, 64-58) starter Roansy Contreras (W, 9-5) was remarkable, striking out a career-high 10 over seven innings. Contreras retired the first 14 hitters of the game, allowed a homer to Shervyen Newton in the fifth, and then he and lefty reliever Dalton Lehnen (S, 3) retired the next 11 in a row. A Gerson Molina single in the ninth snapped the streak. Ronny Mauricio then immediately bounced into a game-ending double play and Charleston faced one over the minimum in its win.
Columbia (23-29, 47-71) was tormented by the RiverDogs starters this series.
CHARLESTON'S STARTERS IN THE SERIES:
Mon. - Jhony Brito: 7 IP, 2 H, 1 R 0 ER, 4 K
Tues. - Luis Medina: 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 10 K
Wed. - Roansy Contreras: 7 IP, 1 H, 1 R,
In total, the Fireflies scored just three runs and tallied only nine hits in the three-game series.
On the bright side, Columbia got some major contributions from two relievers on Wednesday night. Fireflies starter Christian James (L, 3-9) ran into some trouble in the fourth inning and after retiring one batter but allowing two others to reach, was replaced by lefty Jake Simon. The Texan went on to strike out Charleston's three and four hitters, Canaan Smith and Josh Breaux, to retire the side.
Simon wouldn't quit there. He struck out three in the fifth and two more in the sixth to wind up with a season-high seven punchouts (his career high is eight). The seven strikeouts came in just 2.2 innings, though. Danny Hrbek then pitched two shut-out frames. The righty fanned three and allowed just one hit.
Bottom 1: Josh Breaux drives in Brandon Lockridge with a base hit up the middle. CSC 1, COL 0
Bottom 2: Lockridge triples, plates Max Burt ... Lockridge later scores on Oswald Peraza's base hit. CSC 3, COL 0
Top 5: Shervyen Newton rips a solo homer to right. CSC 3, COL 1
The Fireflies return to Segra Park to begin a four-game series with the Rome Braves on Thursday. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 ET. It's a Budweiser Thirsty Thursday, featuring half-price draft beer and fountain drinks.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Home Field Edge Continues with Tourists Win - Asheville Tourists
- Mountain Air Cools off Red-Hot RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Win on Pelletier Home Run in Ninth - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Early Runs Not Enough in 4-2 Loss to Lexington - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Jackets Open Series with 5-1 Victory over Grasshoppers - Augusta GreenJackets
- Adon Earns League-Leading 11th Win in WV - Hagerstown Suns
- Drive Fall to Hickory on Thursday - Greenville Drive
- Sanders Homers But Power Fall in Series Opener, 6-3 - West Virginia Power
- Walkoff Homer Stuns 'Birds in Lakewood - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Rally for Epic Win to Open up Series against Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Braves Announce 2020 Schedule - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 15 vs. Rome (Game 119) - Columbia Fireflies
- Sergio Romo to Enter GreenJackets Hall of Fame - Augusta GreenJackets
- Julio Rodriguez Promoted to High-A Modesto - West Virginia Power
- 2019 Fireflies Homestand Highlights: August 15-18 - Columbia Fireflies
- Crawdads Announce 2020 Schedule - Hickory Crawdads
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 15) - West Virginia Power
- Columbia Fireflies Release 2020 Season Schedule - Columbia Fireflies
- Shorebirds Release 2020 Schedule - Delmarva Shorebirds
- RiverDogs Announce 2020 Schedule - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Quiet Braves Bats in 7-3 Finale - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Pounce on Power Miscues - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Contreras Dominates, Holds Early Lead as Rainbows Sweep 'Flies - Charleston RiverDogs
- Important Series Goes Asheville's Way - Asheville Tourists
- Swing and a Miss - Columbia Pitchers Strike out 12 in Finale - Columbia Fireflies
- Intimidators Shutout Grasshoppers in 10-0 Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.