Hillman Strikes Twice to Give Stingrays OT Win
ESTERO, Fla. - Blake Hillman scored twice, including the game-winner exactly four minutes into overtime, to give the South Carolina Stingrays (24-19-9-3) a 3-2 win over the Florida Everblades (33-17-2-2) Wednesday night in the opening match of a 3-game set this week at Hertz Arena.
Forward Brett Supinski also picked up a goal in the second period and an assist on Hillman's overtime strike, while Matthew Weis had two assists and goaltender Alex Dubeau stopped 32 total shots including multiple crucial saves late in the game to earn his 13th win of the year.
South Carolina took the lead in the opening frame when Hillman netted his second of the season at 6:57. The defender found an open spot in the slot and waited for the puck to find him before quickly firing a wrist shot past goaltender Jake Hildebrand to make it 1-0. Assists went to forwards Justin Florek and Dylan Steman, who won a battle deep in the zone to keep the play alive.
The Rays had an 11-5 edge in shots on goal after the first, but Florida battled back in the middle frame and tied the game at 1-1 when Myles Powell scored shorthanded at 8:58.
Supinski re-gained the lead for SC at 6:50 of the third by sweeping a rebound off a shot by defender Tyler Nanne into the net for his 10th of the year. The goal, which had a second assist from Matthew Weis, put the Rays up 2-1.
The Everblades wouldn't go quietly, however, evening the game once again at 2-2 on a goal by Blake Winiecki at 14:50 of the third, and the teams headed to overtime to decide a winner.
Florida started the extra session with a brief 4-on-3 power play opportunity due to a late penalty to SC's Max Novak for hooking, but the Rays were able to kill off the early advantage.
After Dubeau made saves on four different Everblades chances, Hillman's winner was set up by Weis, who found Supinski with a drop pass at the top of the Florida zone. Supinski drove towards the net and left the puck in front for Hillman, who had an initial chance stopped before burying the rebound.
Florida put 34 shots on goal in the game, while SC had 30 chances on net. Neither team converted on any of their power play opportunities, with Florida finishing at 0-for-4 while the Rays ended at 0-for-5. Hildebrand turned aside 27 shots in a losing effort for the Everblades.
The Stingrays continue the series at Hertz Arena on Friday night at 7:30 p.m. and conclude their 6-game Florida road trip Saturday evening at 7.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from May 5, 2021
- Resilient Rabbits Fight to 4-2 Road Victory in Jacksonville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oilers Fall in Goaltender Duel - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Win Tight Battle with Tulsa 1-0 - Allen Americans
- Hillman Strikes Twice to Give Stingrays OT Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Battle Back Not Enough - Florida Everblades
- Icemen Rally Falls Short against Greenville - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Sign Defenseman Wyatt McLeod - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Preview: Wednesday Night Rivalry Game vs Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - May 5 - ECHL
- Komets Announce Roster Moves - Fort Wayne Komets
- Ingham Recalled to Ontario, Rabbits Claim Goaltender Lavigne - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- United Alliance Global Solutions, Inc. Selected as Winner of Veteran-Owned Small Business Spotlight - Orlando Solar Bears
- Orlando's Luchuk Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Aaron Luchuk Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Player of the Month for April - Orlando Solar Bears
- Kyle Topping Recalled to San Jose Barracuda - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Icemen, May 5, 2021 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Icemen, 7 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stewart Named Howies Hockey Tape ECHL Rookie of the Month - Wichita Thunder
- Wichita's Stewart Named Howies Hockey Tape/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Blades Return to the Ice vs Stingrays - Florida Everblades
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Everblades, May 5 at 7:30 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Everblades to Host Jersey Auction Benefiting the Passion Foundation - Florida Everblades
- Gameday Preview: Americans vs. Tulsa - Allen Americans
- Charles Williams Named ECHL Goaltender of the Month - Jacksonville IceMen
- Jacksonville's Williams Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - May 4 - ECHL
- Barron Scores 4 Goals in Grizzlies Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Tough Special Teams Performance Dooms Rush against Utah - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Carolina Stingrays Stories
- Greenville Gets Past SC in Game 2 to Even Series
- Preview: Game 2: Stingrays at Swamp Rabbits, June 18 at 7:05 PM
- Stingrays Blow by Greenville in Decisive Game 1
- Preview: Game 1: Stingrays vs. Swamp Rabbits, June 16 at 7:05 PM
- Ully Strikes Twice to Send Rays to Eastern Conference Finals