Hill Dominant, Ushers Roadrunners To Return Home With Another Winning Road Trip
Following a successful month-long stint with the Arizona Coyotes, Adin Hill made his return to a Roadrunners sweater Tuesday night, stopping 39 of 40 en route to his team's 3-1 win over the I-8 Rival San Diego Gulls at Pechanga Arena.
A tight first period only contained six shots for each team, Tucson taking over 15 minutes to get their second. However, it was then for the fourth straight game Tucson struck first, tonight via Kevin Hancock, who earned his team their first lead at the end of 20 minutes since prior to Christmas. Going to the net with Blake Speers, the first-year pro Hancock opted to shoot and score, beating Kevin Boyle for the night's first goal.
It wasn't long into the second, 2:10 to be exact, when Hudson Fasching doubled that lead for road side. Playing with Hancock and Tyler Steenbergen on the team's newly-formed third line, the aforementioned two won a board battle in the attacking end, shuffling the puck to the blocker-side circle where Fasching would beat Boyle with a wrist shot.
4:52 later the third line went to work again, this time Steenbergen setting up Blake Speers for a shot attempt that knuckled its way home while cutting to the net. Aaron Ness, who like Hancock and Steenbergen had multiple points on the night, chimed in with a secondary assist.
San Diego's lone goal on the night would come prior to the conclusion of the second period, when Daniel Sprong shot between the mask and glove of Adin Hill on a two-on-one.
After that, Hill stole the show, denying the final 29 straight attempts from the opposition until the sound of the final horn. Including another breakaway stop on Sprong and a three-on-one robbery from right-to-left, the fourth-year Roadrunner certainly put together a performance that looked as if he had spent the last 30+ days in the National Hockey League.
THEY SAID IT
"Adin was our best player tonight. He made a lot of huge saves for us and he gave us that confidence in our defensive zone knowing that he's back there making those stops."
Forward Kevin Hancock describing the importance of his goalie this evening.
DON'T OVERLOOK IT
The team's bounce back from Friday to Saturday was notable, allowing just one goal to the Reign in their previously most recent win. Tonight's play deserves just as much applause though, twisting their fate against a team that took advantage of them in the second half of their meeting Friday.
Exactly what you'd like to see corrected was, thus leading to a different outcome tonight against the I-8 Rival.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2020
- Rocket Win Tight Game against Crunch, 3-2 in OT - Laval Rocket
- Amerks Halt Skid with Overtime Win in Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Post Game Notes: Stars 1 at IceHogs 0 - Texas Stars
- Devils Stun Comets In 5-3 Comeback Win - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Squander Three-Goal Lead in Loss to Devils - Utica Comets
- Monsters Pick up Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Amerks - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Edged by Rocket in Overtime, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Topple Bears Behind 2-Goal Night from Ang - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Phantoms Point Streak at Six After Shootout Loss - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Complete Comeback, Beat Lehigh Valley Phantoms in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Bears Fall Behind Early, Drop 5-2 Decision in Springfield - Hershey Bears
- Statement from Boko Imama - Ontario Reign
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Jimmy Huntington to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Extensive Coverage Set for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Panthers Loan D Riley Stillman, G Sam Montembeault to T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Skillet Kicks off Admirals Concert Series on Friday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Daccord, Gustavsson Collect First Shutouts - Belleville Senators
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Cameron Gaunce Named 2020 AHL All-Star - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse's Gaunce Added to Roster for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Red Wings Summon Cholowski - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Condors Home Tonight at 6:30 with $5 Margaritas and $2 Sodas - Bakersfield Condors
- Syracuse Crunch to Host Miracle on Ice Night February 14 - Syracuse Crunch
- Flyers Send Lyon, Bunnaman and Rubtsov to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rangers Assign Igor Shesterkin and Phillip Di Giuseppe to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Hill Dominant, Ushers Roadrunners To Return Home With Another Winning Road Trip - Tucson Roadrunners
- Roadrunners Break Gulls Streak - San Diego Gulls
- Rampage Earn Point in OT Loss to Pens - San Antonio Rampage
- Ads Win Battle of Division Leaders - Milwaukee Admirals
- Penguins Use More Bellerive Heroics for Overtime Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.