Crunch Edged by Rocket in Overtime, 3-2
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- The Syracuse Crunch were edged by the Laval Rocket, 3-2, in overtime tonight at Place Bell.
Gemel Smith and Taylor Raddysh both scored to give the Crunch two different leads, but the Rocket responded both times and eventually took the game in the extra frame. The team is now 20-18-3-2 on the season and 1-3-1-0 in the six-game season series against Laval.
Goaltender Scott Wedgewood stopped 5-of-6 shots in net for the Crunch before being relieved by Spencer Martin after leaving the game in the second period. Martin went on to stop 18-of-20. Cayden Primeau recorded the win with 21 saves between the pipes for the Rocket. Both Syracuse and Laval went 1-for-5 on the power play.
The Crunch opened scoring with a shorthanded goal 6:26 into the game. Daniel Walcott passed ahead for Smith to speed in on a breakaway and beat Primeau five-hole. Laval evened the score just one minute later. Lukas Vejdemo was in front of the net to redirect Alexandre Alain's left circle shot. Nikita Jevpalovs recorded the secondary assist.
Syracuse regained the lead while on the power play with 21 seconds remaining in the first period. Alex Barre-Boulet passed the puck down to Ross Colton along the goal line. He quickly found Taylor Raddysh who finished it off all alone between the circles.
The Rocket tied the game for a second time with a power-play goal halfway through the middle stanza. Riley Barber cut down the right wing and threw the puck towards the net for Phil Varone to tip in.
After a scoreless third period, the game went to overtime. Jake Evans won it for Laval after firing in a one-timer from the left circle during a 2-on-1 rush with Charles Hudon just seven seconds into the extra frame.
The Crunch return home to host the Binghamton Devils on Friday.
Ticket packages and single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Gemel Smith has goals in three consecutive games...The Crunch are 0-5-2-1 when tied after two periods this season.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2020
- Rocket Win Tight Game against Crunch, 3-2 in OT - Laval Rocket
- Amerks Halt Skid with Overtime Win in Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Post Game Notes: Stars 1 at IceHogs 0 - Texas Stars
- Devils Stun Comets In 5-3 Comeback Win - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Squander Three-Goal Lead in Loss to Devils - Utica Comets
- Monsters Pick up Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Amerks - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Edged by Rocket in Overtime, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Topple Bears Behind 2-Goal Night from Ang - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Phantoms Point Streak at Six After Shootout Loss - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Complete Comeback, Beat Lehigh Valley Phantoms in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Bears Fall Behind Early, Drop 5-2 Decision in Springfield - Hershey Bears
- Statement from Boko Imama - Ontario Reign
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Jimmy Huntington to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Extensive Coverage Set for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Panthers Loan D Riley Stillman, G Sam Montembeault to T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Skillet Kicks off Admirals Concert Series on Friday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Daccord, Gustavsson Collect First Shutouts - Belleville Senators
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Cameron Gaunce Named 2020 AHL All-Star - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse's Gaunce Added to Roster for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Red Wings Summon Cholowski - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Condors Home Tonight at 6:30 with $5 Margaritas and $2 Sodas - Bakersfield Condors
- Syracuse Crunch to Host Miracle on Ice Night February 14 - Syracuse Crunch
- Flyers Send Lyon, Bunnaman and Rubtsov to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rangers Assign Igor Shesterkin and Phillip Di Giuseppe to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Hill Dominant, Ushers Roadrunners To Return Home With Another Winning Road Trip - Tucson Roadrunners
- Roadrunners Break Gulls Streak - San Diego Gulls
- Rampage Earn Point in OT Loss to Pens - San Antonio Rampage
- Ads Win Battle of Division Leaders - Milwaukee Admirals
- Penguins Use More Bellerive Heroics for Overtime Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forward Ross Colton to One-Year Contract
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Defenseman Ben Thomas
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Defenseman Andreas Borgman, Goaltender Chris Gibson
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Goaltender Spencer Martin
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forwards Mitchell Stephens, Gemel Smith