Rocket Win Tight Game against Crunch, 3-2 in OT
LAVAL - In a tight, physical game between the Syracuse Crunch and the Laval Rocket, the home side emerged victorious in a 3-2 (OT) win at Place Bell Wednesday night. The Rocket now rank fourth in the North Division.
With the game-winning goal, first-star Jake Evans continues to lead the Rocket with 29 points (9 G, 20 A). Riley Barber and Otto Leskinen each registered an assist and are tied for second on the team with 16 assists.
Special teams were difference makers as the Syracuse Crunch led 2-1 after 20 minutes of play with a shorthanded goal from Jemel Smith and a powerplay marker from Taylor Raddysh. Lukas Vejdemo tallied his ninth goal of the season, deflecting a shot from Alexandre Alain past Scott Wedgewood. The latter was later replaced by Spencer Martin in the middle frame.
The second period made way for more physical play between the two division rivals. After a scrap near the Crunch's net, the Rocket earned a powerplay and scored the equalizer near the halfway mark of the game. Evaluating his options in front of the net, Riley Barber sent a perfect pass through the high slot for Phil Varone, who tipped in the puck in a wide-open net to tie the game.
After a scoreless third period, it only took the Rocket six seconds to bring the 6970 fans to their feet. On a two-on-one, Charles Hudon connected with Jake Evans, who made no mistake and gave Laval a 3-2 victory.
"I think it's like playoff hockey. We're both battling for a spot in the playoffs and hard-working teams. When you play a team [several] times, you obviously get [to know] some players and get a little more intense in the game," said Evans to the media post-game.
LAV: Vejdemo (Alain, Jevpalovs) | Varone (Barber, Leskinen) | Evans (Hudon)
SYR: Smith (Walcott) | Raddysh (Colton, Barre-Boulet)
Unités spéciales/Special teams
LAV | AN/PP: 1/5 | IN/PK: 4/5
SYR | AN/PP: 1/5 | IN/PK: 4/5
LAV: Primeau (21/23) | SYR: Wedgewood (6/7) Martin (18/20)
Trois étoiles/Three stars
1. Evans - LAV 2. Varone - LAV 3. Colton - SYR
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2020
- Rocket Win Tight Game against Crunch, 3-2 in OT - Laval Rocket
- Amerks Halt Skid with Overtime Win in Cleveland - Rochester Americans
- Post Game Notes: Stars 1 at IceHogs 0 - Texas Stars
- Devils Stun Comets In 5-3 Comeback Win - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Squander Three-Goal Lead in Loss to Devils - Utica Comets
- Monsters Pick up Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Amerks - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Edged by Rocket in Overtime, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Topple Bears Behind 2-Goal Night from Ang - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Phantoms Point Streak at Six After Shootout Loss - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Complete Comeback, Beat Lehigh Valley Phantoms in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Bears Fall Behind Early, Drop 5-2 Decision in Springfield - Hershey Bears
- Statement from Boko Imama - Ontario Reign
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Jimmy Huntington to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Extensive Coverage Set for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Panthers Loan D Riley Stillman, G Sam Montembeault to T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Skillet Kicks off Admirals Concert Series on Friday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Daccord, Gustavsson Collect First Shutouts - Belleville Senators
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Cameron Gaunce Named 2020 AHL All-Star - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse's Gaunce Added to Roster for 2020 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Red Wings Summon Cholowski - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at Cleveland Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Condors Home Tonight at 6:30 with $5 Margaritas and $2 Sodas - Bakersfield Condors
- Syracuse Crunch to Host Miracle on Ice Night February 14 - Syracuse Crunch
- Flyers Send Lyon, Bunnaman and Rubtsov to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rangers Assign Igor Shesterkin and Phillip Di Giuseppe to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Hill Dominant, Ushers Roadrunners To Return Home With Another Winning Road Trip - Tucson Roadrunners
- Roadrunners Break Gulls Streak - San Diego Gulls
- Rampage Earn Point in OT Loss to Pens - San Antonio Rampage
- Ads Win Battle of Division Leaders - Milwaukee Admirals
- Penguins Use More Bellerive Heroics for Overtime Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Laval Rocket Stories
- Canadiens Loan Josh Brook to the Krefeld Pinguine
- American Hockey League Targeting February 5 as Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Canadiens Sign Defenseman Xavier Ouellet to a Two-Year Contract Extension
- Canadiens Agree to Terms on a One-Year Contract with Forward Brandon Baddock
- Canadiens Sign Defenseman Noah Juulsen to a One-Year Contract Extension