Harris Homers, 'Caps Beat Bowling Green
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. - In a well-rounded team effort, the TinCaps beat the Bowling Green Hot Rods (Tampa Bay Rays affiliate), 5-3, on Wednesday night at Bowling Green Ballpark.
Starting pitcher Sam Keating went a career-long seven innings with only two earned runs allowed, the offense tallied 10 hits, and the defense turned a season-high four double plays.
After shutting out the Hot Rods (38-28), 4-0, on Tuesday, the 'Caps (30-34) found themselves behind early in this one. Two batters into the game, Bowling Green took a 1-0 lead as Michael Smith singled, moved to second base on an errant pickoff throw, and scored on a Wander Franco RBI single.
But the TinCaps tied the game, 1-1, in the second. With two outs, catcher Juan Fernandez singled and first baseman Lee Solomon drove him in with a double to right-center field.
The score stayed tied into the seventh. That's when right fielder Agustin Ruiz doubled and Fernandez scored him with an RBI single to make it 2-1. Following an intentional walk of Solomon, with two outs, center fielder Jawuan Harris crushed a three-run homer to left field to expand the lead to 5-1. It was Harris' third homer of the season, and his second at this ballpark.
Keating, who'd never thrown more than 5 2/3 innings in a professional start before this, allowed a two-run homer to Grant Witherspoon in the bottom of the seventh. Nevertheless, the 20-year-old scattered eight hits and a walk while striking out three.
The 'Caps turned a pair of 4-6-3 double plays, plus one of the 4-6-3 variety and another, 5-4-3. Xavier Edwards was at second base, Kelvin Melean played third, and Justin Lopez manned shortstop.
Adrian Martinez pitched a scoreless eighth and Austin Smith earned his third save with a perfect ninth.
Edwards, Fernandez, Solomon, and Harris each had two hits.
Thursday, June 12 @ Bowling Green (7:35 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Ramon Perez
- Hot Rods Probable Starter: RHP Easton McGee
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Cubs Finish Series Strong and Beat Lugnuts 5-1 in Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series Behind 3-Run Sixth - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Eliminated from First Half Playoff Contention - Kane County Cougars
- Road Trip Ends in 5-1 Defeat - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Wins Despite Rijo's Return - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Complete Road Sweep of Hot Rods - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Swept by Fort Wayne in 8-3 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- One Bad Inning Beats Chiefs 3-1 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Big Inning Ends Dragons Winning Streak at 10 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers Shut Out Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Series Finale Cut Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Beat Loons in Rain-Shortened Contest - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Announce Inaugural High School All-Star Showcase - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 13 at Bowling Green (Game 65) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add July 2 Fireworks, Announce Celebration Festival June 29 - July 4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Recycling Bin Initiative (RBI) Presented by Montgomery Count Environmental Services Continues - Dayton Dragons
- Luis Rijo activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chicago Cubs World Series Trophy Appearance Highlights Fan Fest Pre-Game Activities - South Bend Cubs
- Bees Take Crucial 3-1 Win over Cougars - Burlington Bees
- 2019 All-Star Game & Festivities Get Underway this Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Harris Homers, 'Caps Beat Bowling Green - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Lose - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Break Tie in 8th, Stretch Winning Streak to 10 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.