Harris Homers, 'Caps Beat Bowling Green
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. - In a well-rounded team effort, the TinCaps beat the Bowling Green Hot Rods (Tampa Bay Rays affiliate), 5-3, on Wednesday night at Bowling Green Ballpark.
Starting pitcher Sam Keating went a career-long seven innings with only two earned runs allowed, the offense tallied 10 hits, and the defense turned a season-high four double plays.
After shutting out the Hot Rods (38-28), 4-0, on Tuesday, the 'Caps (30-34) found themselves behind early in this one. Two batters into the game, Bowling Green took a 1-0 lead as Michael Smith singled, moved to second base on an errant pickoff throw, and scored on a Wander Franco RBI single.
But the TinCaps tied the game, 1-1, in the second. With two outs, catcher Juan Fernandez singled and first baseman Lee Solomon drove him in with a double to right-center field.
The score stayed tied into the seventh. That's when right fielder Agustin Ruiz doubled and Fernandez scored him with an RBI single to make it 2-1. Following an intentional walk of Solomon, with two outs, center fielder Jawuan Harris crushed a three-run homer to left field to expand the lead to 5-1. It was Harris' third homer of the season, and his second at this ballpark.
Keating, who'd never thrown more than 5 2/3 innings in a professional start before this, allowed a two-run homer to Grant Witherspoon in the bottom of the seventh. Nevertheless, the 20-year-old scattered eight hits and a walk while striking out three.
The 'Caps turned a pair of 4-6-3 double plays, plus one of the 4-6-3 variety and another, 5-4-3. Xavier Edwards was at second base, Kelvin Melean played third, and Justin Lopez manned shortstop.
Adrian Martinez pitched a scoreless eighth and Austin Smith earned his third save with a perfect ninth.
Edwards, Fernandez, Solomon, and Harris each had two hits.
Thursday, June 12 @ Bowling Green (7:35 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Ramon Perez
- Hot Rods Probable Starter: RHP Easton McGee
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Cubs Finish Series Strong and Beat Lugnuts 5-1 in Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series Behind 3-Run Sixth - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Eliminated from First Half Playoff Contention - Kane County Cougars
- Road Trip Ends in 5-1 Defeat - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Wins Despite Rijo's Return - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Complete Road Sweep of Hot Rods - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Swept by Fort Wayne in 8-3 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- One Bad Inning Beats Chiefs 3-1 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Big Inning Ends Dragons Winning Streak at 10 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers Shut Out Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Series Finale Cut Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Beat Loons in Rain-Shortened Contest - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Announce Inaugural High School All-Star Showcase - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 13 at Bowling Green (Game 65) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add July 2 Fireworks, Announce Celebration Festival June 29 - July 4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Recycling Bin Initiative (RBI) Presented by Montgomery Count Environmental Services Continues - Dayton Dragons
- Luis Rijo activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chicago Cubs World Series Trophy Appearance Highlights Fan Fest Pre-Game Activities - South Bend Cubs
- Bees Take Crucial 3-1 Win over Cougars - Burlington Bees
- 2019 All-Star Game & Festivities Get Underway this Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Harris Homers, 'Caps Beat Bowling Green - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Lose - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Break Tie in 8th, Stretch Winning Streak to 10 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Parkview Field to Further Expand Protective Netting
- TinCaps Release 2020 Promotional Schedule
- Drew Brees to Headline "Night of Hope 2020" with Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- TinCaps Holding National Anthem Auditions for 2020 Season
- TinCaps Announce Day of the Week Promotions for 2020