Cougars Eliminated from First Half Playoff Contention
Geneva, Illinois - Kane County Cougars (33-33) saw their first half playoff hopes vanish in a 7-6 loss to the Burlington Bees (38-29) on Thursday night at Northwestern Medicine Field. In games decided by one run, the Cougars have lost four consecutive.
Burlington scored the first two runs of the night. A first inning RBI double by Harrison Wenson made it 2-0 Bees. The Cougars battled back in the fourth inning. Geraldo Perdomo's two-run homer tied the game. Tra Holmes handed the Cougars their first lead on an RBI single later in the inning.
The sixth inning produced a combined eight runs. Burlington scored five in the top of the frame. Tim Millard's two-run single pushed the Bees in front. Burlington added on with RBI knocks by Jordyn Adams, Kevin Maitan and Nonie Williams. The Cougars pieced together their own rally in the bottom of the inning, starting with Zac Almond's two-RBI double. Eduardo Diaz brought the game within one run on a sacrifice fly.
One run was the closest the Cougars would get. They stranded the bases loaded in the eighth inning.
Cougar starter Matt Tabor did not receive a decision, despite five innings of two-run ball. Wesley Rodriguez (2-1) suffered the loss. He blew his fifth save of the year and allowed five runs on four hits over 0.2 innings. Jose Soriano (5-5) received the win. He tossed four innings, allowed three runs (one earned) on two hits. Luke Lind (1) tossed a 1-2-3 ninth to earn the save.
The Cougars play the final series of the first half over the weekend against Beloit, beginning with a 6:30 P.M. first pitch on Friday. Purchase tickets by calling 630-232-8811 or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Cubs Finish Series Strong and Beat Lugnuts 5-1 in Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series Behind 3-Run Sixth - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Eliminated from First Half Playoff Contention - Kane County Cougars
- Road Trip Ends in 5-1 Defeat - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Wins Despite Rijo's Return - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Complete Road Sweep of Hot Rods - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Swept by Fort Wayne in 8-3 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- One Bad Inning Beats Chiefs 3-1 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Big Inning Ends Dragons Winning Streak at 10 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers Shut Out Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Series Finale Cut Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Beat Loons in Rain-Shortened Contest - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Announce Inaugural High School All-Star Showcase - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 13 at Bowling Green (Game 65) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add July 2 Fireworks, Announce Celebration Festival June 29 - July 4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Recycling Bin Initiative (RBI) Presented by Montgomery Count Environmental Services Continues - Dayton Dragons
- Luis Rijo activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chicago Cubs World Series Trophy Appearance Highlights Fan Fest Pre-Game Activities - South Bend Cubs
- Bees Take Crucial 3-1 Win over Cougars - Burlington Bees
- 2019 All-Star Game & Festivities Get Underway this Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Harris Homers, 'Caps Beat Bowling Green - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Lose - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Break Tie in 8th, Stretch Winning Streak to 10 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season