Captains Beat Loons in Rain-Shortened Contest
(Eastlake, OH) - The Lake County Captains (39-27) defeated the Great Lakes Loons (41-23) in a rain-shortened game on Thursday night at Classic Park. In the rubber game of a three-game series, Lake County won in 5.5 innings, 4-2.
Captains starter Alex Royalty cruised through 5.1 innings for a complete game victory. The right-hander allowed just two runs on five hits. Royalty (2-4) struck out four and walked one.
Great Lakes took a 1-0 lead in the third when Luke Heyer led off the inning with a solo homer to left, but the Captains quickly returned the fire. In the bottom of the third, Great Lakes starter Stephen Kolek walked Bo Naylor to lead off the inning and then hit Tyler Freeman with a pitch. With one out, second baseman Jacob Amaya misplayed a Ruben Cardenas ground ball to load the bases. Mitch Reeves then smoked a line drive single into left field that scored both Naylor and Freeman to give the Captains a 2-1 lead.
Naylor gave the Captains insurance in the fourth. Daniel Schneemann began the inning with a single for his second hit of the game. Two batters later, Naylor crushed a two-run homer out to right-centerfield to expand Lake County's lead to 4-1.
The Loons plated a run in the top of the sixth on an RBI single by Niko Hulsizer, but the rain came pouring down right after Hulsizer's knock and the Captains' grounds crew unfurled the tarp.
Kolek (4-4) suffered the loss. The right-hander worked four innings and allowed four runs on six hits. Kolek struck out four, walked three and hit one batter.
The Captains head to Fort Wayne, IN to wrap up the first half with three games against the Fort Wayne TinCaps at Parkview Field. Firs pitch for game one on Friday is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
Individual game tickets for all Captains games are on sale at the Classic Park box office, online at captainsbaseball.com and by phone at 440-954-WINS (9467). Mini ticket plans for the 2019 season are still available for great prices complete with several exclusive benefits. Information can be found at the Captains website www.captainsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Cubs Finish Series Strong and Beat Lugnuts 5-1 in Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series Behind 3-Run Sixth - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Eliminated from First Half Playoff Contention - Kane County Cougars
- Road Trip Ends in 5-1 Defeat - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Wins Despite Rijo's Return - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Complete Road Sweep of Hot Rods - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Swept by Fort Wayne in 8-3 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- One Bad Inning Beats Chiefs 3-1 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Big Inning Ends Dragons Winning Streak at 10 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers Shut Out Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Series Finale Cut Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Beat Loons in Rain-Shortened Contest - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Announce Inaugural High School All-Star Showcase - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 13 at Bowling Green (Game 65) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add July 2 Fireworks, Announce Celebration Festival June 29 - July 4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Recycling Bin Initiative (RBI) Presented by Montgomery Count Environmental Services Continues - Dayton Dragons
- Luis Rijo activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chicago Cubs World Series Trophy Appearance Highlights Fan Fest Pre-Game Activities - South Bend Cubs
- Bees Take Crucial 3-1 Win over Cougars - Burlington Bees
- 2019 All-Star Game & Festivities Get Underway this Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Harris Homers, 'Caps Beat Bowling Green - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Lose - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Break Tie in 8th, Stretch Winning Streak to 10 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.