Road Trip Ends in 5-1 Defeat
SOUTH BEND, Ind. - Cole Roederer broke a 1-1 sixth-inning tie with an RBI triple and the South Bend Cubs (35-31) beat the Lansing Lugnuts (30-36), 5-1, on Thursday night at Four Winds Field.
The Lugnuts split the four-game series with the Cubs and finished their 10-day, three-city road trip with a 6-5 record.
Trailing 1-0 entering the fifth, the Nuts tied the score against South Bend All-Star southpaw Brailyn Marquez on a Luis De Los Santos two-out double and a Reggie Pruitt RBI triple.
But in the bottom of the sixth inning, Roederer turned around a pitch from Will McAffer (Loss, 1-2) for a two-out RBI triple of his own, knocking in Tyler Durna, to put the Cubs up, 2-1. McAffer then threw a wild pitch on ball four to Chris Morel, bringing in Roederer to give the Cubs a two-run lead.
An inning later, Durna struck his third home run of the season, a two-run shot to right, to supply the final margin.
Mike Pascoe came in to pitch the bottom of the eighth inning, recording the final two outs before departing on an injury suffered while catching a line drive off the bat of Morel. Regular third baseman Jesus Severino, enjoying a day off, was brought in as an emergency pitcher to notch the final out, inducing Gustavo Polanco to ground out to second.
South Bend reliever Brendan King (Win, 1-0) pitched three perfect innings in relief of Marquez, striking out three.
Lansing starter Cobi Johnson allowed one run in five innings in a no-decision, allowing three hits and two walks and striking out six.
Now the road-weary Lugnuts return to Michigan's state capital for a three-game series against the Bowling Green Hot Rods from June 14-16, including Star Wars Night with post-game LAFCU Fireworks on Saturday, July 15th. To live the Lug Life and purchase tickets to Sunday or throughout the 2019 season, visit lansinglugnuts.com or call (517) 485-4500.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Cubs Finish Series Strong and Beat Lugnuts 5-1 in Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series Behind 3-Run Sixth - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Eliminated from First Half Playoff Contention - Kane County Cougars
- Road Trip Ends in 5-1 Defeat - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Wins Despite Rijo's Return - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Complete Road Sweep of Hot Rods - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Swept by Fort Wayne in 8-3 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- One Bad Inning Beats Chiefs 3-1 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Big Inning Ends Dragons Winning Streak at 10 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers Shut Out Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Series Finale Cut Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Beat Loons in Rain-Shortened Contest - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Announce Inaugural High School All-Star Showcase - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 13 at Bowling Green (Game 65) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add July 2 Fireworks, Announce Celebration Festival June 29 - July 4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Recycling Bin Initiative (RBI) Presented by Montgomery Count Environmental Services Continues - Dayton Dragons
- Luis Rijo activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chicago Cubs World Series Trophy Appearance Highlights Fan Fest Pre-Game Activities - South Bend Cubs
- Bees Take Crucial 3-1 Win over Cougars - Burlington Bees
- 2019 All-Star Game & Festivities Get Underway this Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Harris Homers, 'Caps Beat Bowling Green - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Lose - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Break Tie in 8th, Stretch Winning Streak to 10 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.