Wisconsin Wins Despite Rijo's Return
CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA - Luis Rijo tossed five shutout innings in his first game back with the Cedar Rapids Kernels off the injured list, but the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers scored twice against the bullpen for a 2-0 win Thursday evening in front of a season-high 3,419 fans at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium. Freisis Adames, Reese Olson, and Anthony Bender pitched the Timber Rattlers (30-36) to a four-hit shutout.
The Kernels (36-31) are now two games behind the Burlington Bees (38-29) in the race for the Western Division First-Half Wild Card. Burlington inched closer to the playoff berth with a 7-6 victory at the Kane County Cougars (33-33).
Rijo needed just 57 pitches to record five scoreless frames. Rijo, who also posted a shutout start May 20 against Burlington prior to his stint on the injured list, faced just one batter over the minimum Thursday and gave up one hit without allowing any runs or walks.
Wisconsin scored two runs against Alex Schick (1-1) to jump in front, 2-0, in the sixth inning. David Fry hit an RBI single that plated Korry Howell, and Jesús Lujano followed with an RBI groundout to drive in Brice Turang. Schick yielded two runs in his lone inning of work and suffered the loss.
Adames (1-0) notched his first Midwest League victory to open the combined shutout. He registered a season-high seven strikeouts and six innings pitched. Adames also secured a scoreless appearance for the first time this year.
Olson and Bender provided relief and completed the 2-0 Timber Rattlers triumph. Olson kept the Kernels scoreless in the seventh and eighth innings for his team-high-tying second hold. Bender's perfect ninth inning led to his third save in four chances.
This six-game Kernels homestand continues Friday with the opener of a three-game series with the Clinton LumberKings. Friday's contest will begin at 6:35 p.m., and Cedar Rapids right-hander Josh Winder (4-1, 2.64) is scheduled to start against Clinton right-hander George Soriano (0-4, 5.79). Broadcast coverage will be available on 1450 KMRY AM, 93.1 KMRY FM, and KCRG 9.2 and also online at www.kmryradio.com, www.kernels.com, and MiLB.TV.
The first 1,000 fans through the gates Friday will receive a free rally towel as part of UNI Night. The Kernels will wear special Panther-themed jerseys that will be sold during the game via silent auction to benefit the Panther Scholarship Club. Kernels Friday Mug Club Night, sponsored by Stadium Bar & Grill, Shuey's Restaurant & Lounge, Mr. B's, Mulligan's Pub, and Z102.9, encourages fans to get a 16 oz. souvenir mug for $6.00 that can be used for $3.00 refills at every Kernels Friday home game.
Fans can purchase tickets for all Cedar Rapids Kernels home games by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Cubs Finish Series Strong and Beat Lugnuts 5-1 in Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series Behind 3-Run Sixth - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Eliminated from First Half Playoff Contention - Kane County Cougars
- Road Trip Ends in 5-1 Defeat - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Wins Despite Rijo's Return - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Complete Road Sweep of Hot Rods - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Swept by Fort Wayne in 8-3 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- One Bad Inning Beats Chiefs 3-1 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Big Inning Ends Dragons Winning Streak at 10 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers Shut Out Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Series Finale Cut Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Beat Loons in Rain-Shortened Contest - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Announce Inaugural High School All-Star Showcase - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 13 at Bowling Green (Game 65) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add July 2 Fireworks, Announce Celebration Festival June 29 - July 4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Recycling Bin Initiative (RBI) Presented by Montgomery Count Environmental Services Continues - Dayton Dragons
- Luis Rijo activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chicago Cubs World Series Trophy Appearance Highlights Fan Fest Pre-Game Activities - South Bend Cubs
- Bees Take Crucial 3-1 Win over Cougars - Burlington Bees
- 2019 All-Star Game & Festivities Get Underway this Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Harris Homers, 'Caps Beat Bowling Green - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Lose - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Break Tie in 8th, Stretch Winning Streak to 10 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Kernels 2020 Season Canceled
- Nick Adenhart Scholarships Awarded to two Eastern Iowa High School Graduates
- Adenhart Scholarship Deadline Approaches
- Kernels Seeking Nominations for Third Annual Kid Heroes Recognition
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closes for 4 Weeks