Bees Take Crucial 3-1 Win over Cougars
Burlington starter Luis Alvarado gave up a run in the first inning on two Kane County singles, a ground out and a wild pitch. Then he shut them down.
Alvarado went six and two thirds innings, allowed four hits, the one run, struck out three and walked none. The Bees took game two of the three game set 3-1 in Geneva.
Tyler Smith threw the last seven outs to earn his fifth save. He is tied for sixth most in the league. Alvarado goes to 3-4 and lowers his ERA to 2.25.
The Bees scored single runs in the fifth, sixth and ninth. Alvaro Rubalcaba lead off the fifth with a single. He moved to second on a Jordyn Adams single. He tagged on a fly ball to make it first and third. Adams was picked off first, but got himself into a run down long enough to allow Rubalcaba to scurry home. Bees tie it.
Spencer Griffin hit his sixth home run of the year in the next inning. Bees up 2-1.
The final score tallied when Francisco Del Valle was hit by a pitch. An out later Tim Millard drew a walk. Del Valle went to third on a Rubalcaba fly out. He scored on an Adams single. Adams finished the game two for five.
Burlington has four more first half games remaining. They finish the series in Kane County on Thursday, before closing in Peoria with three.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Cubs Finish Series Strong and Beat Lugnuts 5-1 in Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series Behind 3-Run Sixth - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Eliminated from First Half Playoff Contention - Kane County Cougars
- Road Trip Ends in 5-1 Defeat - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Wins Despite Rijo's Return - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Complete Road Sweep of Hot Rods - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Swept by Fort Wayne in 8-3 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- One Bad Inning Beats Chiefs 3-1 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Big Inning Ends Dragons Winning Streak at 10 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers Shut Out Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Series Finale Cut Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Beat Loons in Rain-Shortened Contest - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Announce Inaugural High School All-Star Showcase - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 13 at Bowling Green (Game 65) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add July 2 Fireworks, Announce Celebration Festival June 29 - July 4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Recycling Bin Initiative (RBI) Presented by Montgomery Count Environmental Services Continues - Dayton Dragons
- Luis Rijo activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chicago Cubs World Series Trophy Appearance Highlights Fan Fest Pre-Game Activities - South Bend Cubs
- Bees Take Crucial 3-1 Win over Cougars - Burlington Bees
- 2019 All-Star Game & Festivities Get Underway this Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Harris Homers, 'Caps Beat Bowling Green - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Lose - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Break Tie in 8th, Stretch Winning Streak to 10 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.