Dragons Break Tie in 8th, Stretch Winning Streak to 10
Dayton, Ohio-Dayton's Juan Martinez lined a tie-breaking three-run triple into the right field corner in the bottom of the eighth inning as the Dragons defeated the West Michigan Whitecaps 5-2 on Wednesday night. The win was the Dragons 10th in a row, giving them their longest winning streak in 12 years and tying their second longest in franchise history. The start of the game was delayed by rain for two hours, 16 minutes.
The score was tied 2-2 when Michael Siani started the Dragons game-winning rally with an infield single with one out in the bottom of the eighth. Miles Gordon reached on an error as Siani moved to third, and with two outs, Jay Schuyler walked to load the bases. Martinez then connected on a low line drive along the first base line that reached the right field corner. Siani, Gordon, and Schuyler all scored on the play as Martinez stopped at third with a triple to make it 5-2.
Dragons closer Connor Bennett pitched a perfect ninth inning to earn his eighth save and close out the Dragons win.
The Dragons got the scoring started in the bottom of the fourth inning on a solo home run to left field by Brian Rey, his fifth of the year, to make it 1-0. Later in the same inning, Schuyler walked and scored all the way from first base on a hit-and-run single by Bren Spillane that made it 2-0.
But West Michigan came back to tie the game in the sixth inning, taking advantage of two Dayton errors in the inning to score twice without a base hit. The Whitecaps had a runner at second base with one out in the eighth before Dragons reliever Carlos Machorro worked out of jam to keep the game tied.
Dragons starting pitcher Lyon Richardson worked the first six innings, allowing two unearned runs on only two hits. He walked one and matched a career high with seven strikeouts. He left the game with the score tied 2-2. Machorro (1-0) was credited with the win, working two scoreless innings.
The Dragons finished the night with seven hits. Rey had two hits including a home run. Randy Ventura had one hit to extend his hitting streak to eight straight games. Siani's hit in the eighth extended his hitting streak to seven games.
Up Next: The Dragons (27-39) and Whitecaps (20-46) conclude the series on Thursday night at 7:00 p.m. at Fifth Third Field. James Marinan (2-6, 5.09) will start for the Dragons against Wilkel Hernandez (4-5, 4.33). The Dragons begin a three-game series in Midland, Michigan on Friday night against the Great Lakes Loons to close out the first half in the Midwest League's split-season format.
On the Air: All Dragons games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE AM. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2.
All Saturday and Sunday home games are televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
For Dragons 2019 ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Cubs Finish Series Strong and Beat Lugnuts 5-1 in Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series Behind 3-Run Sixth - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Eliminated from First Half Playoff Contention - Kane County Cougars
- Road Trip Ends in 5-1 Defeat - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Wins Despite Rijo's Return - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Complete Road Sweep of Hot Rods - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Swept by Fort Wayne in 8-3 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- One Bad Inning Beats Chiefs 3-1 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Big Inning Ends Dragons Winning Streak at 10 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers Shut Out Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Series Finale Cut Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Beat Loons in Rain-Shortened Contest - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Announce Inaugural High School All-Star Showcase - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 13 at Bowling Green (Game 65) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add July 2 Fireworks, Announce Celebration Festival June 29 - July 4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Recycling Bin Initiative (RBI) Presented by Montgomery Count Environmental Services Continues - Dayton Dragons
- Luis Rijo activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chicago Cubs World Series Trophy Appearance Highlights Fan Fest Pre-Game Activities - South Bend Cubs
- Bees Take Crucial 3-1 Win over Cougars - Burlington Bees
- 2019 All-Star Game & Festivities Get Underway this Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Harris Homers, 'Caps Beat Bowling Green - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Lose - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Break Tie in 8th, Stretch Winning Streak to 10 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.