One Bad Inning Beats Chiefs 3-1 Thursday
Clinton, IA - The Peoria Chiefs rallied late but fell short in a 3-1 loss to the Clinton LumberKings Thursday night. The loss drops the Chiefs to 28-38 on the season with three home games left in the first half, starting Friday night at 6:35 p.m.
Both teams lost runners on the base paths in crucial spots in the first five and a half innings before Clinton took the lead in the sixth. Diego Cordero walked JD Osborne to start the frame and Jerar Encarnacion singled to right. With one down, Bubba Hollins hit a tailor-made, inning-ending double play ball but it went under the glove of Nolan Gorman at third. The play was ruled a double as Osborne scored for a 1-0 Clinton lead. Edgar Escobar replaced Cordero and Clinton made it 2-0 on a squeeze bunt from Davis Bradshaw and 3-0 on a wild pitch.
The Chiefs got a two-out single from Brendan Donovan in the seventh and a leadoff double from Gorman in the eight but did not score against reliever CJ Carter. With one out in the ninth, reliever Nathan Alexander walked Juan Yepez, Brandon Benson and Donovan to load the bases. Yepez scored on a fielders' choice RBI for Delvin Perez but Alex Vesia got a one-pitch save as Gorman flew out to left to end the game.
Cordero (2-6) took the loss as he allowed three runs on four hits over 5 1/3 innings while walking four and striking out eight. Escobar allowed two hits over 2 2/3 shutout innings while walking one and striking out four.
The Chiefs return home for a three-game series against Burlington, starting at 6:35 p.m. Friday. The Chiefs will start LH Colin Schmid (3-2, 3.62) against a TBA Burlington hurler. Promotions can be found on the team website or social media accounts. The broadcast can be heard, starting with the Pre-Game Show at 6:15 p.m. on the Peoria Chiefs Tune-In Page, which is free and also has a free app for smartphones and tablets. The game will also be televised on MiLB.TV for subscribers.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Cubs Finish Series Strong and Beat Lugnuts 5-1 in Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series Behind 3-Run Sixth - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Eliminated from First Half Playoff Contention - Kane County Cougars
- Road Trip Ends in 5-1 Defeat - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Wins Despite Rijo's Return - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Complete Road Sweep of Hot Rods - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Swept by Fort Wayne in 8-3 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- One Bad Inning Beats Chiefs 3-1 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Big Inning Ends Dragons Winning Streak at 10 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers Shut Out Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Series Finale Cut Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Beat Loons in Rain-Shortened Contest - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Announce Inaugural High School All-Star Showcase - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 13 at Bowling Green (Game 65) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add July 2 Fireworks, Announce Celebration Festival June 29 - July 4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Recycling Bin Initiative (RBI) Presented by Montgomery Count Environmental Services Continues - Dayton Dragons
- Luis Rijo activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chicago Cubs World Series Trophy Appearance Highlights Fan Fest Pre-Game Activities - South Bend Cubs
- Bees Take Crucial 3-1 Win over Cougars - Burlington Bees
- 2019 All-Star Game & Festivities Get Underway this Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Harris Homers, 'Caps Beat Bowling Green - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Lose - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Break Tie in 8th, Stretch Winning Streak to 10 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.