LumberKings Take Series Behind 3-Run Sixth
CLINTON, IA - Alberto Guerrero turned in six shutout innings and the Clinton LumberKings broke out for three runs in the sixth to beat the Peoria Chiefs 3-1 on Thursday night at NelsonCorp Field. Clinton (33-33) climbed back to .500 with the win and took the three game series from Peoria (28-38) two games to one.
Guerrero (3-1) earned the win for a strong six innings of work. The win was his second of the year against the Chiefs and featured eight strikeouts to tie his professional career high. He worked around base runners in five of his six innings - allowing three walks and five hits.
The game remained scoreless until the bottom of the sixth with Peoria starter Diego Cordero matching Guerrero zero for zero.
The tie was broken in the sixth when Clinton rallied for all three of their runs to take a lead they would not relinquish. J.D. Osbrone opened the inning with a walk and was followed by a Jerar Encarnacion single to right. Two batters later, Bubba Hollins followed with a double down the line at third on the 10th pitch of the at-bat to bring home the first run of the game. Cordero (2-6) was chased from the contest following the hit and was hung with the loss.
Bradshaw bunted home the second run of the sixth and Hollins capped the rally by scoring on a wild pitch.
Cordero worked 5.1 innings allowing three runs on four hits while walking four and striking out eight.
C.J. Carter continued the shutout work for the LumeberKings with two innings of relief - earning his first hold of the year - and then turned the ball over in the ninth.
Nathan Alexander opened the ninth with a strikeout before walking the next three batters. He then recorded an out on a fielder's choice that brought home the Chiefs only run of the night. Alexander was awarded a hold for his time, his third of the year, and was removed following the RBI ground out.
Alex Vesia was the last LumberKing to enter the game and he earned his third save of the year with just one pitch which went for a flyout to left.
The LumberKings will conclude the first half of the season on the road with a three-game series with the Cedar Rapids Kernels on Friday night. Clinton will throw George Soriano (0-4, 5.79) while Cedar Rapids will tap right-handed pitcher Jos Winder (4-1, 2.64). First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m. Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:20 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI or online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Cubs Finish Series Strong and Beat Lugnuts 5-1 in Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series Behind 3-Run Sixth - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Eliminated from First Half Playoff Contention - Kane County Cougars
- Road Trip Ends in 5-1 Defeat - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Wins Despite Rijo's Return - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Complete Road Sweep of Hot Rods - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Swept by Fort Wayne in 8-3 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- One Bad Inning Beats Chiefs 3-1 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Big Inning Ends Dragons Winning Streak at 10 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers Shut Out Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Series Finale Cut Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Beat Loons in Rain-Shortened Contest - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Announce Inaugural High School All-Star Showcase - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 13 at Bowling Green (Game 65) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add July 2 Fireworks, Announce Celebration Festival June 29 - July 4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Recycling Bin Initiative (RBI) Presented by Montgomery Count Environmental Services Continues - Dayton Dragons
- Luis Rijo activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chicago Cubs World Series Trophy Appearance Highlights Fan Fest Pre-Game Activities - South Bend Cubs
- Bees Take Crucial 3-1 Win over Cougars - Burlington Bees
- 2019 All-Star Game & Festivities Get Underway this Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Harris Homers, 'Caps Beat Bowling Green - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Lose - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Break Tie in 8th, Stretch Winning Streak to 10 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- LumberKings to Host Blood Drive at NelsonCorp Field
- Curbside Concessions Going into Extra Innings
- Last Call for Curbside Concessions at NelsonCorp Field
- Purina celebrates PetCare Pride Day by partnering with Clinton LumberKings and Clausen
- Stockwells to Perform on September 5th