Cubs Finish Series Strong and Beat Lugnuts 5-1 in Finale
South Bend, IN: After dropping the first two games of their four-game series against the Lansing Lugnuts, the South Bend Cubs rallied back to finish the series in a tie following the win in game two of last night's doubleheader and the 5-1 finale victory tonight.
Even with tonight's win, the Cubs were eliminated from first half playoff contention due to Lake County beating Great Lakes. However, the back-to-back wins sets up a chance for the Cubs to gather more momentum this weekend in West Michigan before entering the second half.
In tonight's win, lefty Brailyn Marquez got the start and struck out seven batters with a zinging fastball and nasty slider all night long. After the Cubs grabbed the 1-0 lead in the 3rd inning following Marcus Mastrobuoni scoring on a wild pitch, Lansing quickly tied it on an RBI triple from Reggie Pruitt.
Marquez finished his start after five innings with a no-decision. Following Marquez, right-hander Brendan King made his 2019 Four Winds Field debut after being an All-Star in the Midwest League last season. King fired three perfect innings and struck out three to give South Bend a chance to win.
South Bend scored two runs in each of the 6th and 7th innings starting with a blast hit by Cole Roederer off the right field wall. Roederer hustled into third and finished off the RBI triple to make it 2-1.
In the 7th, Tyler Durna hit his third home run of the year deep over the right field wall near the 1st Source Bank Performance Center. It was a 5-1 South Bend lead after 7 innings.
Sean Barry finished the deal for the Cubs with a scoreless 9th. Barry did not earn the save but hung a zero and closed the win. The Cubs now sit at 35-31 on the season entering the final three games of the first half. First pitch for tomorrow's series opener at West Michigan is set for 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Cubs Finish Series Strong and Beat Lugnuts 5-1 in Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series Behind 3-Run Sixth - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Eliminated from First Half Playoff Contention - Kane County Cougars
- Road Trip Ends in 5-1 Defeat - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Wins Despite Rijo's Return - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Complete Road Sweep of Hot Rods - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Swept by Fort Wayne in 8-3 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- One Bad Inning Beats Chiefs 3-1 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Big Inning Ends Dragons Winning Streak at 10 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers Shut Out Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Series Finale Cut Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Beat Loons in Rain-Shortened Contest - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Announce Inaugural High School All-Star Showcase - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 13 at Bowling Green (Game 65) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add July 2 Fireworks, Announce Celebration Festival June 29 - July 4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Recycling Bin Initiative (RBI) Presented by Montgomery Count Environmental Services Continues - Dayton Dragons
- Luis Rijo activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chicago Cubs World Series Trophy Appearance Highlights Fan Fest Pre-Game Activities - South Bend Cubs
- Bees Take Crucial 3-1 Win over Cougars - Burlington Bees
- 2019 All-Star Game & Festivities Get Underway this Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Harris Homers, 'Caps Beat Bowling Green - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Lose - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Break Tie in 8th, Stretch Winning Streak to 10 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- Watch Basketball Madness on March 19 at Four Winds Field
- Meijer and South Bend Cubs Partner with Food Bank to Provide Turkeys for Michiana
- South Bend Cubs Announce 2021 Schedule
- Chicago Cubs Announce 2021 South Bend Cubs Coaching Staff
- South Bend Secures Placement with Chicago Cubs as Advanced-A Affiliate