TinCaps Complete Road Sweep of Hot Rods
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. - The TinCaps beat the Bowling Green Hot Rods (Tampa Bay Rays affiliate), 8-3, on Thursday night at Bowling Green Ballpark to finish off a three-game series sweep.
This was Fort Wayne's first series sweep on the road since Aug. 5-8, 2017, when the 'Caps swept a four-game set against the Great Lakes Loons.
The TinCaps (31-34) scored often early. Second baseman Xavier Edwards led the game off with a double. He advanced to third on a fly out by shortstop Tucupita Marcano and scored on a sacrifice fly off the bat of catcher Blake Hunt.
Fort Wayne stretched its lead to 7-0 thanks to a six-run third inning. Edwards had an RBI single in the frame, as did right fielder Agustin Ruiz, while left fielder Michael Curry collected an RBI on a ground out and designated hitter Luis Roman belted a three-run, opposite-field home run to left. The 'Caps did their damage against Hot Rods (38-29) starter Easton McGee, who is a Midwest League All-Star.
The visitors tacked on one more in the fourth, as Hunt had his second sac fly of the night to plate Edwards, who finished 2-for-4 with a walk and a stolen base.
Bowling Green, which is fighting for the Eastern Division's first-half wild card but now trails Lake County by 1.5 games with three to play, chipped into its deficit with two in the fourth and one in the fifth. However, the Hot Rods were 4-for-19 with runners in scoring position and left 14 on base. (The 'Caps were 4-for-10 in those spots with only three stranded.)
Left-hander Ramon Perez, 19, started and went the first four for Fort Wayne with just one earned run surrendered. Henry Henry pitched the next two in relief, while Carlos Belen (1 1/3) and Cody Tyler (1 2/3) tossed the final two.
Friday, June 14 vs. Lake County (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Ryan Weathers
- Captains Probable Starter: RHP Luis Oviedo
Watch: Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Cubs Finish Series Strong and Beat Lugnuts 5-1 in Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series Behind 3-Run Sixth - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Eliminated from First Half Playoff Contention - Kane County Cougars
- Road Trip Ends in 5-1 Defeat - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Wins Despite Rijo's Return - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Complete Road Sweep of Hot Rods - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Swept by Fort Wayne in 8-3 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- One Bad Inning Beats Chiefs 3-1 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Big Inning Ends Dragons Winning Streak at 10 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers Shut Out Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Series Finale Cut Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Beat Loons in Rain-Shortened Contest - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Announce Inaugural High School All-Star Showcase - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 13 at Bowling Green (Game 65) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add July 2 Fireworks, Announce Celebration Festival June 29 - July 4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Recycling Bin Initiative (RBI) Presented by Montgomery Count Environmental Services Continues - Dayton Dragons
- Luis Rijo activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chicago Cubs World Series Trophy Appearance Highlights Fan Fest Pre-Game Activities - South Bend Cubs
- Bees Take Crucial 3-1 Win over Cougars - Burlington Bees
- 2019 All-Star Game & Festivities Get Underway this Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Harris Homers, 'Caps Beat Bowling Green - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Lose - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Break Tie in 8th, Stretch Winning Streak to 10 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.