Bootleggers Swept by Fort Wayne in 8-3 Loss
Bowling Green, KY - The Bowling Green Bootleggers couldn't climb out of an early seven-run hole and fell 8-3 to the Fort Wayne TinCaps, suffering a three-game sweep to finish their first-half home schedule. Bowling Green falls to 38-29 before heading to Lansing to begin their final series of the first half on Friday night with the first pitch at 6:05 p.m. CDT.
Fort Wayne took the lead in the top of the first inning against Bowling Green starter Easton McGee. Xavier Edwards slapped the first pitch of the game down the left-field line for a double. Tucupita Marcano and Blake Hunt followed with fly balls that advanced Edwards, with Hunt's fly out bringing home Edwards with the first run of the game.
In the third, the bottom fell out for the Bootleggers as Fort Wayne exploded for six runs off McGee. The first five batters of the inning all reached and eventually scored and Luis Roman capped off the rally with a three-run homer that put the TinCaps up 7-0.
Chris Muller came out of the bullpen in the fourth and allowed an unearned run, but Bowling Green scored twice in the bottom of the inning as Michael Smith and Seaver Whalen came through with two-out RBI singles.
The Bootleggers chipped away further as Ford Proctor doubled home a run in the fifth, cutting Fort Wayne's lead to 8-3. However, despite putting at least one runner on base in every inning but one, Bowling Green drew no closer, leaving 14 runners on base as they fell for a third-straight game, suffering their second series sweep of the season.
McGee (4-2) went just 3.0 innings in taking his second loss, allowing seven runs on seven hits, walking two and striking out two. Muller also went 3.0 innings, allowing one unearned run on a walk, while allowing no hits and striking out five. Nick Sprengel threw 3.0 scoreless innings to finish the game, allowing two hits.
Notes: Proctor recorded his 15th multi-hit game and fifth three-hit game...Kaleo Johnson 15th multi-hit game...Smith picked up his tenth multi-hit effort and his third three-hit day... Smith also recorded his seventh outfield assist of the season and the 16th for Bowling Green...The assist was the second in three games for BG...McGee's 3.0 innings was his shortest start of the season...His seven runs allowed were a season-high...Sprengel tied a season-high with his 3.0 innings of work (also 4/9 at Lake County)...Bowling Green was swept at home for the first time since April 27-29, 2017 vs. Lansing...The three-straight losses tie the longest losing streak of the season for Bowling Green, having done so five times...The 11 hits by BG are their most since collecting 13 on June 1 at Lansing...Bowling Green is 6-3 all-time as the Bootleggers, 2-3 this season...The Hot Rods are 12-6-2 in series...BG fell to 30-7 when outhitting their opponents...The Hot Rods are 6-11 against left-handed starters...BG is 22-13 at home...The Hot Rods will travel to Lansing for a three-game series that ends the first half, beginning Friday night with the first pitch at 6:05 p.m. CDT...LHP Cristopher Sanchez (1-1, 3.32) will start for Bowling Green, while Lansing's starter is still to be announced...Fans can catch all the action with Shawn Murnin on Willie 107.9 FM, as well as, with their smart phones via the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Cubs Finish Series Strong and Beat Lugnuts 5-1 in Finale - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Take Series Behind 3-Run Sixth - Clinton LumberKings
- Cougars Eliminated from First Half Playoff Contention - Kane County Cougars
- Road Trip Ends in 5-1 Defeat - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Wins Despite Rijo's Return - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Complete Road Sweep of Hot Rods - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bootleggers Swept by Fort Wayne in 8-3 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- One Bad Inning Beats Chiefs 3-1 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Big Inning Ends Dragons Winning Streak at 10 - Dayton Dragons
- Rattlers Shut Out Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Series Finale Cut Short - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Beat Loons in Rain-Shortened Contest - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Announce Inaugural High School All-Star Showcase - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 13 at Bowling Green (Game 65) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add July 2 Fireworks, Announce Celebration Festival June 29 - July 4 - Peoria Chiefs
- Recycling Bin Initiative (RBI) Presented by Montgomery Count Environmental Services Continues - Dayton Dragons
- Luis Rijo activated from 7-day Injured List - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chicago Cubs World Series Trophy Appearance Highlights Fan Fest Pre-Game Activities - South Bend Cubs
- Bees Take Crucial 3-1 Win over Cougars - Burlington Bees
- 2019 All-Star Game & Festivities Get Underway this Weekend - South Bend Cubs
- Harris Homers, 'Caps Beat Bowling Green - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Lose - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Break Tie in 8th, Stretch Winning Streak to 10 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowling Green Hot Rods Stories
- 2020 Midwest League All-Star Game Postponed to 2021
- Hot Rods, Bats, & Legends Announce Team Kentucky Campaign
- Hot Rods Owner Acquires Bourbon & Brewfest; Announces Event Details
- Hot Rods 2020 All-Star Week Tickets on Sale Now
- Hot Rods Welcome New Coaching Staff in 2020