Game Notes: vs Quad City
Overview: The Cyclones wrap up the 2015-16 regular season on Saturday night against the Quad City Mallards. Cincinnati fell to Quad City, 6-3, on Friday night, and currently sit in eighth place in the Western Conference. Cincinnati needs a regulation win on Saturday to guarantee them the seventh spot in the Western Conference. If the playoffs were to start today, Cincinnati would be headed to Missouri to take on the League-leading Mavericks in the first round.
Last Night Recap: The Cincinnati Cyclones (35-27-5-4) fell to the Quad City Mallards, 6-3, on Friday night. Forwards Andrew Yogan and Colin Mulvey, and defenseman Jonathan Diaby potted the goals for the Cyclones. The Cyclones outshot the Mallards, 33-26 on the night, with goaltender Andy Iles stopping 20 shots in the loss.
Last Saturday Night Recap: The Cincinnati Cyclones (35-26-5-4) were defeated by the Toledo Walleye on Saturday night's regular season home finale by a score of 7-3. Defenseman Garrett Noonan lit the lamp once and forward Tommy Mele scored twice for the Cyclones, who sit in seventh place in the Western Conference with two games left to play in the regular season. The Cyclones outshot Toledo, 32-25, with goaltender Andy Iles coming away with 18 saves in the defeat.
Last Friday Night Recap: The Cincinnati Cyclones (35-25-5-4) fell to the Evansville IceMen, 5-3, on Friday night. Forward Nick Huard tallied a pair of goals, while defenseman Cody Carlson chipped in one for Cincinnati. The Cyclones outshot the IceMen, 51-25, with 20 saves from goaltender Andy Iles in the loss. Despite the loss, the Cyclones have clinched a spot in the 2016 Kelly Cup Playoffs by way of the Tulsa Oilers falling to the Quad City Mallards Friday night.
Previewing Quad City: The Mallards locked up the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference with their 6-3 win over Cincinnati on Friday night. Quad City has won four in a row and six of their last eight, and are outscoring their opponents, 19-9, in the last four games. They are led by forwards Olivier Archambault (22g, 29a) and Matt Neal (18g, 33a) who have each accounted for 51 points on the season. Team goals leader Matt Carey rounds out the top three scorers with 46 points through 48 games (24g, 22a).
Inside the Series: This will be the eleventh and final meeting of the season between the Cyclones and Mallards, with Cincinnati holding a 5-4-0-1 edge in the first 10 games. Cyclones forward Jack Downing leads all scorers with 13 points (4g, 9a) through the first 10 games.
Next Game Preview: The Cyclones are off to the 2016 Kelly Cup Playoffs starting next weekend, where they will face either the Missouri Mavericks or the Ft. Wayne Komets. Cincinnati dropped both meetings with the Mavericks this season, and compiled a 5-4-1-0 record against the Komets. The Cyclones will play Games 1 and 2 on the road.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 9, 2016
- Steelheads drop season finale to Mavs - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Close Regular Season with 5-3 Win in Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Win Final Game of Regular Season 3-1 over Steelheads - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Fall in Finale - Rapid City Rush
- Royals Announce Playoff Schedule for First Round Matchup - Reading Royals
- Oilers Finish Season with 2-1 Overtime Win - Tulsa Oilers
- O'Donnell Ties Club Record in 5-1 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Thrilling Finish Extends Final IceMen Game in Shootout Loss - Evansville IceMen
- Cyclones Victorious in Regular Season Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Take Season Finale in OT vs. Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Season Ends with Overtime Loss in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Beat Admirals 5-4, Will Play Kalamazoo to Open Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Suffer Second Straight Slip Down the Stretch to Wheeling in Regular Season Finale, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Mallards Drop Regular Season Finale, Face Missouri in Opening Round of Playoffs - Quad City Mallards
- Wings Punch Ticket to Postseason in Finale Shutout - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Edged in Final Seconds of Season Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Close out 2015-16 Season with 5-1 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Admirals Conclude Season with Hard-Fought Loss at Home - Norfolk Admirals
- Jackals Season Ends with 5-3 Loss to Brampton - Elmira Jackals
- Monarchs Release Playoff Schedule - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 5-4, in Regular Season Finale - Manchester Monarchs
- Kelly Cup Playoffs Schedule Announced: Thunder vs. Monarchs - Adirondack Thunder
- Ian Bateaux Scores Late Giving Atlanta 5-4 Win in Season Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Earn 19th Road Win in Regular Season Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast End Season with Huge 5-3 Win over Jackals - Brampton Beast
- Toledo Finishes Regular Season with a 4-0 Loss in Kalamazoo - Toledo Walleye
- Rapid City Back in "Hockeyville" Competition - Rapid City Rush
- Mallards First Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day Capsule: Wichita at Tulsa, April 9th - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Sign Teddy Doherty to Standard Player Contract - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - April 9 - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Goaltender Martin Ouellette Loaned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Patsch re-signs with Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Oilers Host Thunder in Season Finale: Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Faille Recalled from Solar Bears to Marlies - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: vs Quad City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fan Appreciation Night on Saturday to Feature over $1,000 in Giveaways - Adirondack Thunder
- Team Awards Tonight - Adirondack Thunder
- Adirondack Thunder Clinch Kelly Cup Playoff Berth with 4-3 Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Gameday: Adirondack vs. Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- Jackals Close out Regular Season at Home against Brampton with Playoff Hopes on the Line - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview: South Carolina at Norfolk, 7:15 p.m. - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavericks Assigned Carter Verhaeghe from Sound Tigers - Kansas City Mavericks
- Final Regular Season Home Game Is Tonight, as the Playoffs Open Thursday - Allen Americans
- ECHL Today - April 9 - ECHL
- Hafner, Sivak Lead Aces to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Alaska Aces
- Hafner Claims First Pro Shutout as Aces Blank Eagles 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Open the Playoffs at Home Next Thursday & Saturday - Allen Americans
- Statement Win for Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Fall in Rapid City; Home Playoff Dates Announced - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.