Swamp Rabbits Edged in Final Seconds of Season Finale
Duluth, GA - Josh Nicholls scored twice on Saturday, helping the Greenville Swamp Rabbits (29-33-10), proud ECHL affiliate of the New York Rangers and the AHL's Hartford Wolf Pack, tie the game following a four-goal deficit, but Atlanta's Ian Barteaux notched the game-winner with just 3.8 seconds left as the Gladiators (34-31-7) earned a 5-4 victory in the season finale at the Infinite Energy Center.
Chris Leone and Brian Hart also scored for the Swamp Rabbits, who finished the season 15-19-2 on the road.
The Gladiators took command in the opening frame with two goals on eight shots to build a 2-0 advantage. Derek Nesbitt struck first at 6:17 when he tipped Max Everson's slap shot from the blue line and redirected the puck past goaltender Alain Valiquette's blocker. It was Nesbitt's team-leading 28th tally of the season.
Tyler Murovich padded Atlanta's lead at the 17:09 mark when he netted his 19th goal of the season. From the left boards, Murovich collected a feed from Patrick D'Amico, spun and fired a heavy wrist shot on target that knuckled past Valiquette's glove to make it 2-0.
Atlanta continued to pull away in the second period when D'Amico and Brock Higgs added their names to the list of goal scorers. D'Amico buried his 15th tally of the season at the 4:14 mark to make it 3-0.
Higgs recorded his sixth goal of the season at the 11:10 mark with a power-play tally to expand Atlanta's lead to four. With Josh Nicholls in the box for tripping, Eric Neiley found Barteaux at the blue line for a one-time slap shot that was redirected by Higgs at the doorstep.
The Swamp Rabbits' four-goal comeback began at 17:28 of the second period when Leone scored his first professional goal on the power-play with a wrist shot from the right circle. He received the pass from Michael St. Croix and beat goaltender Matt Ginn blocker side with Tyler Shiplo in the box for slashing.
Hart made it 4-2 with his second goal in as many nights at 4:02 of the third period. At even strength, Ryan Rashid sent a feed to the bottom of the right circle for Garett Bembridge, who immediately swung a cross-ice pass to Hart at the left post for the tap-in goal. It was Hart's 11th goal of the season.
Nicholls kept things rolling and tied the contest at 4-4 with back-to-back goals in a span of 3:35. His first came on the power play at the 13:30 mark when he drilled a shot through Ginn's five-hole from the left hash marks with D'Amico in the box for goaltender interference. Nicholls added his 21st tally of the season at 17:05 when tucked a low snap shot under Ginn from the left circle.
Despite Greenville's late-game momentum, Barteaux notched the game-winner in the final four seconds following a holding minor to Tyler Elbrecht. From the top of the point, Barteaux called for the puck and hammered a slap shot through traffic and past Valiquette's glove for the power-play tally.
Both teams finished the game 2-for-3 on the power play, while Atlanta outshot Greenville 37-30. Valiquette (5-5-0) made 32 saves in the setback and Ginn (17-16-3) halted 26 shots in the Gladiators win.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 9, 2016
- Steelheads drop season finale to Mavs - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Close Regular Season with 5-3 Win in Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Win Final Game of Regular Season 3-1 over Steelheads - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Fall in Finale - Rapid City Rush
- Royals Announce Playoff Schedule for First Round Matchup - Reading Royals
- Oilers Finish Season with 2-1 Overtime Win - Tulsa Oilers
- O'Donnell Ties Club Record in 5-1 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Thrilling Finish Extends Final IceMen Game in Shootout Loss - Evansville IceMen
- Cyclones Victorious in Regular Season Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Take Season Finale in OT vs. Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Season Ends with Overtime Loss in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Beat Admirals 5-4, Will Play Kalamazoo to Open Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Suffer Second Straight Slip Down the Stretch to Wheeling in Regular Season Finale, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Mallards Drop Regular Season Finale, Face Missouri in Opening Round of Playoffs - Quad City Mallards
- Wings Punch Ticket to Postseason in Finale Shutout - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Edged in Final Seconds of Season Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Close out 2015-16 Season with 5-1 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Admirals Conclude Season with Hard-Fought Loss at Home - Norfolk Admirals
- Jackals Season Ends with 5-3 Loss to Brampton - Elmira Jackals
- Monarchs Release Playoff Schedule - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 5-4, in Regular Season Finale - Manchester Monarchs
- Kelly Cup Playoffs Schedule Announced: Thunder vs. Monarchs - Adirondack Thunder
- Ian Bateaux Scores Late Giving Atlanta 5-4 Win in Season Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Earn 19th Road Win in Regular Season Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast End Season with Huge 5-3 Win over Jackals - Brampton Beast
- Toledo Finishes Regular Season with a 4-0 Loss in Kalamazoo - Toledo Walleye
- Rapid City Back in "Hockeyville" Competition - Rapid City Rush
- Mallards First Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day Capsule: Wichita at Tulsa, April 9th - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Sign Teddy Doherty to Standard Player Contract - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - April 9 - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Goaltender Martin Ouellette Loaned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Patsch re-signs with Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Oilers Host Thunder in Season Finale: Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Faille Recalled from Solar Bears to Marlies - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: vs Quad City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fan Appreciation Night on Saturday to Feature over $1,000 in Giveaways - Adirondack Thunder
- Team Awards Tonight - Adirondack Thunder
- Adirondack Thunder Clinch Kelly Cup Playoff Berth with 4-3 Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Gameday: Adirondack vs. Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- Jackals Close out Regular Season at Home against Brampton with Playoff Hopes on the Line - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview: South Carolina at Norfolk, 7:15 p.m. - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavericks Assigned Carter Verhaeghe from Sound Tigers - Kansas City Mavericks
- Final Regular Season Home Game Is Tonight, as the Playoffs Open Thursday - Allen Americans
- ECHL Today - April 9 - ECHL
- Hafner, Sivak Lead Aces to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Alaska Aces
- Hafner Claims First Pro Shutout as Aces Blank Eagles 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Open the Playoffs at Home Next Thursday & Saturday - Allen Americans
- Statement Win for Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Fall in Rapid City; Home Playoff Dates Announced - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Swamp Rabbits Release 2020 Training Camp Roster
- Single Game Tickets on Sale Now
- Swamp Rabbits Align with Florida Panthers, Remain Partnered with Charlotte Checkers
- Dynamic Forward Liam Pecararo Rejoins for '20-21
- Swamp Rabbits Ink Goaltender John Lethemon