O'Donnell Ties Club Record in 5-1 Win over Orlando
ESTERO, FL- Brendan O'Donnell scored a goal in his ninth straight game to tie a club record and helping the Florida Everblades defeat the Orlando Solar Bears 5-1 Saturday night at Germain Arena. ** ()
In the first period of play the Everblades came out and set the tone early, out shooting the Solar Bears 10-2 and also witnessing a team record tying performance by Brendan O'Donnell.
Just 4:17 into the game the Everblades jumped out in front 1-0 on a power play goal by Brendan O'Donnell. O'Donnell scored from the left wing side, deking to the right then back to the left and flipped the puck top shelf over the shoulder of Rob Madore for his ninth straight game with a goal, tying an Everblades record set by Keith Anderson back in 2003.
Then with six minutes remaining in the period the Everblades extended their lead to 2-0 on another power play when Matt Marquardt ripped a one-timer into the net from the top of the right wing circle.
The 'Blades and Solar Bears bunkered down on defense during the second period and limited scoring chances.
Then with less than a minute to play in the period, the Solar Bears went up an attacker on a power play with Rylan Schwartz scoring his 23^rd goal of the year on a wristed shot from the high slot cutting the Everblades lead 2-1 heading into the third period.
In the third period it was all Everblades, scoring three unanswered goals.
7:20 into the final period of play Brant Harris scored on a shorthanded goal. Brendan O'Donnell stole the puck from the Solar Bears, charged into the zone on the left wing side and passed the puck to Harris in the middle of the ice who put in top shelf past Madore extending the 'Blades lead 3-1.
One minute later, Ralph Cuddemi scored his first goal of his professional career, when Kevin Lynch held the puck heading into the offensive zone, waited to make the pass from behind the net to Cuddemi who slapped it in the net from right in front giving the Blades the 4-1 lead.
Just past the halfway point, Cuddemi scored his second goal of the night when he raced into the offensive zone on a breakaway, deked to the weak hand left side and backhanded it into the net giving the 'Blades the 5-1 win.
Rasmus Tirronen earned the victory tonight stopping 17 out of 18 shots on net, while Rob Madore takes home the loss giving up five goals on 30 shots.
The Everblades are heading to the first round of the playoffs where they will face off against the Wheeling Nailers on Friday April 15. Game time is set at 7:30 p.m at Germain Arena.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 9, 2016
- Steelheads drop season finale to Mavs - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Close Regular Season with 5-3 Win in Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Win Final Game of Regular Season 3-1 over Steelheads - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Fall in Finale - Rapid City Rush
- Royals Announce Playoff Schedule for First Round Matchup - Reading Royals
- Oilers Finish Season with 2-1 Overtime Win - Tulsa Oilers
- O'Donnell Ties Club Record in 5-1 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Thrilling Finish Extends Final IceMen Game in Shootout Loss - Evansville IceMen
- Cyclones Victorious in Regular Season Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Take Season Finale in OT vs. Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Season Ends with Overtime Loss in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Beat Admirals 5-4, Will Play Kalamazoo to Open Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Suffer Second Straight Slip Down the Stretch to Wheeling in Regular Season Finale, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Mallards Drop Regular Season Finale, Face Missouri in Opening Round of Playoffs - Quad City Mallards
- Wings Punch Ticket to Postseason in Finale Shutout - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Edged in Final Seconds of Season Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Close out 2015-16 Season with 5-1 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Admirals Conclude Season with Hard-Fought Loss at Home - Norfolk Admirals
- Jackals Season Ends with 5-3 Loss to Brampton - Elmira Jackals
- Monarchs Release Playoff Schedule - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 5-4, in Regular Season Finale - Manchester Monarchs
- Kelly Cup Playoffs Schedule Announced: Thunder vs. Monarchs - Adirondack Thunder
- Ian Bateaux Scores Late Giving Atlanta 5-4 Win in Season Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Earn 19th Road Win in Regular Season Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast End Season with Huge 5-3 Win over Jackals - Brampton Beast
- Toledo Finishes Regular Season with a 4-0 Loss in Kalamazoo - Toledo Walleye
- Rapid City Back in "Hockeyville" Competition - Rapid City Rush
- Mallards First Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day Capsule: Wichita at Tulsa, April 9th - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Sign Teddy Doherty to Standard Player Contract - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - April 9 - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Goaltender Martin Ouellette Loaned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Patsch re-signs with Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Oilers Host Thunder in Season Finale: Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Faille Recalled from Solar Bears to Marlies - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: vs Quad City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fan Appreciation Night on Saturday to Feature over $1,000 in Giveaways - Adirondack Thunder
- Team Awards Tonight - Adirondack Thunder
- Adirondack Thunder Clinch Kelly Cup Playoff Berth with 4-3 Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Gameday: Adirondack vs. Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- Jackals Close out Regular Season at Home against Brampton with Playoff Hopes on the Line - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview: South Carolina at Norfolk, 7:15 p.m. - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavericks Assigned Carter Verhaeghe from Sound Tigers - Kansas City Mavericks
- Final Regular Season Home Game Is Tonight, as the Playoffs Open Thursday - Allen Americans
- ECHL Today - April 9 - ECHL
- Hafner, Sivak Lead Aces to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Alaska Aces
- Hafner Claims First Pro Shutout as Aces Blank Eagles 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Open the Playoffs at Home Next Thursday & Saturday - Allen Americans
- Statement Win for Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Fall in Rapid City; Home Playoff Dates Announced - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Everblades Deal Defenseman Campbell to Allen Americans
- Just-In Time: 'Blades Rally Late to Upend Stingrays in OT
- Preview: Florida Searches for Series Split against South Carolina
- Milner Stymies 'Blades in Series-Opening Setback
- Preview: 'Blades Take on Stingrays, Aim to Close Division Deficit