Mavericks Win Final Game of Regular Season 3-1 over Steelheads
BOISE, IDAHO - The Missouri Mavericks won their last regular season game of the 2015-16 season, taking a 3-1 victory over the Idaho Steelheads on the road Saturday night. The Mavericks will play the Quad City Mallards in Round 1 of their 2016 Kelly Cup Playoffs campaign.
Missouri will open the post-season on Saturday, Apr. 16 (7:05p.m.) and Sunday, Apr. 17 (4:05p.m.) at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. Tickets for Game 1 and Game 2 are on sale now at Ticketmaster.com and in-person at the arena box office.
Round 1 will continue in Moline, IL at the iWireless Center on Wednesday, Apr. 20 (6:35p.m.) and Friday, Apr. 22 (7:05p.m.). If necessary, the series will continue on Saturday, Apr. 23 (7:05p.m.) at the iWireless Center for Game 5 and then return to Silverstein Eye Centers Arena on Tuesday, Apr. 26 (7:05p.m.) and Wednesday, Apr. 27 (7:05p.m.) for Game 6 and Game 7.
The Mavericks and Steelheads were locked in a stalemate through the first 20 minutes of play with neither side able to notch a mark on the scoreboard.
Missouri struck first 3:30 into the second frame when defenseman Chris Owens was credited with his third goal of the season after he set the put up in an open crease and an opposing player tapped it across the goal line. Sebastien Sylvestre and Carter Verhaeghe were credited with assists on the play.
Rocco Carzo then bolstered the Mavericks lead just minutes later at 5:12 when he bested Philippe Desrosiers with the help of David deKastrozza.
Idaho cut into the Mavericks lead. 2-1, early in the third period when Kyle Jean scored what would be the lone goal for the Steelheads on Saturday evening. Then Sebastien Sylvestre, who was already on the score sheet for an assist on the Mavericks first goal, scored a lamp-lighter of his own late in regulation at 18:17 with a beautiful wraparound shot set-up by Andrew Courtney.
Net-minder Josh Robinson made 37 saves in goal through a full 60 minutes between the pipes for the Mavericks, putting on a particularly impressive display during a 2-minite 2-man disadvantage during the third period.
The Mavericks final 2015-16 regular season record stands at 52-15-3-2 as they now head into their first post-season appearance in the ECHL Kelly Cup Playoffs next weekend against the Quad City Mallards. Tickets for Game 1 (Saturday, Apr. 16 - 7:05p.m.) and Game 2 (Sunday, Apr. 17 - 4:05p.m.) are available online at Ticketmaster.com and in-person at the arena box office. GO MAVS!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 9, 2016
- Steelheads drop season finale to Mavs - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Close Regular Season with 5-3 Win in Rapid City - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Win Final Game of Regular Season 3-1 over Steelheads - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Fall in Finale - Rapid City Rush
- Royals Announce Playoff Schedule for First Round Matchup - Reading Royals
- Oilers Finish Season with 2-1 Overtime Win - Tulsa Oilers
- O'Donnell Ties Club Record in 5-1 Win over Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Thrilling Finish Extends Final IceMen Game in Shootout Loss - Evansville IceMen
- Cyclones Victorious in Regular Season Finale - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Oilers Take Season Finale in OT vs. Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Fuel Season Ends with Overtime Loss in Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Beat Admirals 5-4, Will Play Kalamazoo to Open Playoffs - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals Suffer Second Straight Slip Down the Stretch to Wheeling in Regular Season Finale, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Mallards Drop Regular Season Finale, Face Missouri in Opening Round of Playoffs - Quad City Mallards
- Wings Punch Ticket to Postseason in Finale Shutout - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Edged in Final Seconds of Season Finale - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Solar Bears Close out 2015-16 Season with 5-1 Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Admirals Conclude Season with Hard-Fought Loss at Home - Norfolk Admirals
- Jackals Season Ends with 5-3 Loss to Brampton - Elmira Jackals
- Monarchs Release Playoff Schedule - Manchester Monarchs
- Monarchs Outlast Thunder, 5-4, in Regular Season Finale - Manchester Monarchs
- Kelly Cup Playoffs Schedule Announced: Thunder vs. Monarchs - Adirondack Thunder
- Ian Bateaux Scores Late Giving Atlanta 5-4 Win in Season Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Earn 19th Road Win in Regular Season Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast End Season with Huge 5-3 Win over Jackals - Brampton Beast
- Toledo Finishes Regular Season with a 4-0 Loss in Kalamazoo - Toledo Walleye
- Rapid City Back in "Hockeyville" Competition - Rapid City Rush
- Mallards First Round Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day Capsule: Wichita at Tulsa, April 9th - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Sign Teddy Doherty to Standard Player Contract - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Transactions - April 9 - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Goaltender Martin Ouellette Loaned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Patsch re-signs with Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- Oilers Host Thunder in Season Finale: Preview - Tulsa Oilers
- Faille Recalled from Solar Bears to Marlies - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Notes: vs Quad City - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fan Appreciation Night on Saturday to Feature over $1,000 in Giveaways - Adirondack Thunder
- Team Awards Tonight - Adirondack Thunder
- Adirondack Thunder Clinch Kelly Cup Playoff Berth with 4-3 Win over Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Gameday: Adirondack vs. Manchester - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- Jackals Close out Regular Season at Home against Brampton with Playoff Hopes on the Line - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview: South Carolina at Norfolk, 7:15 p.m. - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavericks Assigned Carter Verhaeghe from Sound Tigers - Kansas City Mavericks
- Final Regular Season Home Game Is Tonight, as the Playoffs Open Thursday - Allen Americans
- ECHL Today - April 9 - ECHL
- Hafner, Sivak Lead Aces to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Alaska Aces
- Hafner Claims First Pro Shutout as Aces Blank Eagles 2-0 - Colorado Eagles
- Americans Open the Playoffs at Home Next Thursday & Saturday - Allen Americans
- Statement Win for Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Fall in Rapid City; Home Playoff Dates Announced - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavs Snakebit in Front of Sellout Crowd, Blown out in Saturday Night Contest to Allen
- Mavs Go .500 on Road Trip After Loss in Newfoundland
- Mavs Denied in Newfoundland, Fall 4-1 to Growlers
- Mavs Monday: KC Stays the Course on Longest Road Trip of Season
- Mavs Cooled off in Wichita, 4-0